1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 9:12 AM by SafeBoot

Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""

We're finding that 2% of our MEE 5.2.4.1 deployments end up with the user being lockedout of their laptop because that user hasn't been assigned. MEE gets installed,the user logs into Windows, Autodomain’s log shows it ran. But ultimately doesNOT assign the user –so when the laptop is rebooted the user is dead in thewater.

Autodomain runs just after the MEE installs and the laptop reboots intoWindows and the user logs in. It does not run unless a user logs into the PCinteractively.

We found that if the laptop has no connectivity back to the MEE DB serverthat it will fail with this error.

What else causes autodomain 5.25 to fail with this error?

• 1. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""

most likely you are running AD when the current user is not authenticated to the domain (check the ad log at the top to see who the current user is), and you did not set a defaultdomain in autodomain.ini?

Autodomain can't assign any users if it can't talk to EEM though? Usually people deploy in Autoboot mode to solve this kind of connectivity issue, and let autodomain remove the autoboot users once the current user is set up correctly.

• 2. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""

Thanks

We will try the defaultdomain=domain_name

• 3. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""

make sure you add it to your defaultgooddomains array as well of course.

• 4. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""

Will do.

When exporting the installation set, should we be checking the "Automatically restart machine" or not? Our AD GPO will only deploy if there IS an active network connection to the AD domain.

Will autodomain be able to do it's stuff just after MEE installs? Or is a reboot required?

• 5. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""

normally AD runs prior to the first reboot - that's the optimal state.

• 6. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""
                    TechSecurityNate

We run AutoDomain 5.58 that I've tweaked to fit our needs.  It runs fine immediately after install, assuming you have network connection.  I wrapped it in a script that parses the log looking for indications that it failed to connect.  If it fails, I wait 3 minutes and launch AutoDomain again.  I do this 5 times, then assume it's going to be offline indefinitely and I setup the registry to run AutoDomain for all users on startup.  The ini file along with the script, will clean this up whenever it does run properly.

Why aren't you using a new version?  The 5.25 download says right on it, to use the latest version. 

• 7. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""

the option to re-run for everyone on startup after a failure is in the latest 5.6 version, which also has all the other 5.6 changes, like asynchronus running, W7 64bit support etc. It's on my site as usual.

• 8. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated for sure. But we are still very unsure what the process is for upgrading autodomain 5.25 to the latest version (5.6?).

We need a little more step-by-step instructions, we've taken the guidance provided by this forum as far as we can. Understand we're very new at this product.

Mcafee phone support is next to useless unfortunately, they do try though. We're in a very uncomfortable situation where we've paid for 2-weeks professional services to get us going including the deployment process. However we're finding now that it's almost completely unsupported.

Could some one please take a moment to document the step-by-step process for upgrading autodomain? Please try and avoid any assumptions in describing how to perform the various tasks.

• 9. Re: Autodomain 5.25 Could not determine user domain so setting it to ""
                          Mcafee phone support is next to useless unfortunately, they do try though.

Please PLEASE remember, that Autodomain is not a McAfee supported thing - I'm sure most people miss it, but as a reminder here's an excerpt from the header of the script. As long as you've been through training on EEPC, adn you understand VBS, it should be pretty clear though - I commented the code inside out (ignore all the class modules, most of the functions are never used, they are just generic "building blocks" for all the scripts I have).

' LEGAL AND SUPPORT INFORMATION
                          ' =============================                                                         Version="1.00"
                          ' This script is the invention of Simon Hunt, an individual, and though I work for McAfee, this script
                          ' is not supported by, or authorised by McAfee itself as a corporate entity. There is no official
                          ' support for this script, though you can get assistance from the author at his discretion. You 
                          ' may also be able to get assistance through the community forums at http://community.mcafee.com. 
                          '
                          ' If you use this script in a mission-critical way, you may want to consider contacting McAfee And
                          ' agreeing some professional services support, outside the terms of your normal technical support
                          ' contract. 
                          ' McAfee will offer support for any McAfee specific API calls in this script, but, not the logic
                          ' of the script itself. 

1 2 Previous Next