Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
8365 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 10:16 AM by lpz888 RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Wetmoref2 Apprentice 61 posts since
Apr 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2011 6:50 PM

HOME NETWORK -- IP ADDRESSES ARE REVERSED

I've been having this problem for five days and counting.

McAfee Total Protection's "Home Network Defense" is behaving abnormally:

• I receive repeated notifications regarding computers connecting, "{computer 1} has connected" followed moments later by, "{computer 1} has connected"!
    • The application "Home Network Defense" is not initializing properly, "You are not connected to a network" -- but I am connected to a network  - then, a moment later it will recognize the connection.
    • Having recognized the network, the application will fail to recognize the computers, then recognize them but not identify them by their names!
    • Finally, the application is reversing the IP addresses -- rather than ***.***.***.**, it's reading, **.***.***.***! The numbers are correct but in reverse order -- for each of my networked computers!
    • I've had to uninstall and reinstall McAfee Total Protection five times this year!
    • Why are the McAfee files so easily corrupted or fragmented?! 
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    1. Jun 19, 2011 10:09 PM (in response to Wetmoref2)
    Re: HOME NETWORK -- IP ADDRESSES ARE REVERSED

Moved out of the Help section.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,347 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    2. Jun 22, 2011 12:57 AM (in response to Wetmoref2)

Known issue (reversing Ip addresses) will be fixed later on as determined it is a minor annoyance. Really when I saw it I thought the PC had been hacked as the reversed IP was fron China... Yes the names for the PCs seem to drop out even if you added them sometimes happens.

So what versions have you installed? Go to about and post the security centre and firewall versions.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/06/11 3:57:47 PM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002
    5. Jun 22, 2011 1:06 AM (in response to Wetmoref2)

It was a firewall issue so it was moved to that area.

The reversed IP is a minor issue how can it not be? I feel the reversed iP is only in the GUI not the software so it is only cosmetic. I will confirm this next call in.

Re the notifications usually this means you have notification settings selected . Ie click of 1 of your PCs in My Home network you will see this setting at the bottom of the GUI

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002
    7. Jun 22, 2011 4:08 AM (in response to Wetmoref2)

Ok will test the notification thingy over next couple days yes I missed the second notification comment. OK mine came up 2 times but I had not closed the popup did you?

Re the notification your Ip address was changed was this on the main PC or the network 1? I felt that this reversal changed back to correct 1 in a few minutes will monitor that as well. Hmm my wife's PC showed correct Ip address  as I said will monitor and discuss with the techs Monday.

What are your firewall and security centre versions and whayt is your Operating system?

on 22/06/11 7:08:53 PM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

Nov 23, 2002
    8. Jun 22, 2011 5:09 AM (in response to Peacekeeper)

OK further testing yes the IP did on 1 (my XP) PC reverse but the IP of the router is still normal. The IP that changed  was a network 192.168.etc one. It changed back to correct way in 5 minutes after booting that PC and 2 minutes later reversed. I am trying to repro your issues here so I can confirm to the techs but the reversing IP is hard to see as affecting the router

OK I have a network I assume you do not check here

http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ and see if it sees your correct IP . Of course do not post it here.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/06/11 8:09:07 PM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points