5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 8:06 AM by Peter M

Need help with FakeAlert-Fab! removal

Need help with FakeAlert-Fab! removal. McAfee says it quarantined the files, but have lost desktop, files and all programs. Seems to have hidden them. Keeps coming back.

• 1. Re: Need help with FakeAlert-Fab! removal
          Peter M

This infection family will also hide all the files on your computer from being seen. To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:

Unhide.exe    

Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/06/11 9:29:25 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Need help with FakeAlert-Fab! removal

Thanks Ex_Brit.

I've used the this tool and it does work, however, the malware keeps coming back. I've run Malwarebytes quick scan and it found 7 items, which it supposedly removed, but after a reboot, I keep getting my files hidden.

Not sure how to permantly remove this thing.

• 3. Re: Need help with FakeAlert-Fab! removal
              Peter M

Boot into 'Safe Mode with Networking' which is choice #2 on the menu you should see when you tap F8 repeatedly while booting up.

Open Malwarebytes and update it (should work in that mode), then run a full scan (takes a while as you probably already know) and hopefully it will wipe out this particular nasty.

• 4. Re: Need help with FakeAlert-Fab! removal

Thanks Ex_Brit. Unfortunatly, once in safe mode, I couldn't get to the internet to update the software. My network connections were effected by this as well. After several attempts and reboots, I was finally able to access "System restore". I restored to a point in time prior to getting infected and was then able to access the internet and update the software. I ran it several times and updated all of my software and seem to be running fine again.

Would you recommend keeping the Malwarebytes installed? or should McAfee have caught this bug? What about Microsoft's Malware Protection Center product? I think I need something to monitor for this type of infection.

• 5. Re: Need help with FakeAlert-Fab! removal
                  Peter M

You need 'Safe Mode With Networking' (Choice #2 on the menu) in order to access the Internet in Safe Mode, but I agree it doesn't always work.

Yes keep MBAM aboard and updated.