3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 8:13 AM by Arjen

EPO 4.5 Server upgrade

Current scenario:

epo server 4.5 running on Windows server 2003 32 bit with local full SQL 2005 standard 32 bit database

Goal:

upgrade to 64 bit hardware, Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64 with SQL 2008 standard 64 bit

Current server will be "untouched" in case of the need to roll back

I have KB 66616 and KB 68427 but neither really gives any direction regarding this "multiple upgrade" scenario.

The way I see it, I have several choices:

1)  On new server, install 64 bit Server 2008 and 64 bit SQL 2008 Std.  Attach 32 bit SQL databases.  Follow KB 66616 and disregard the fact that I'm crossing SQL versions and bit factor

2)  On new server, install 64 bit Server 2008 and 32 bit SQL 2005 Std.  Attach database & follow KB 66616.  When all is working do an in-place upgrade to SQL 2008 x64

3)  On new server, install 64 bit Server 2008 and 64 bit SQL 2005 Std.  Attach database & follow KB 66616.  When all is working do an in-place upgrade to SQL 2008 x64

4)  Upgrade the existing EPO server to SQL 2008 32 bit STD first (this breaks my "untouched" scenario as stated before).  On new server, install 64 bit Server 2008 and 64 bit SQL 2008 Std.  Attach DB from original server.  Follow KB 66616

5)  Some other path I've failed to recognize

Is there a recommended path from McAfee?

• 1. Re: EPO 4.5 Server upgrade
          Arjen

You can install a new ePO server on the new OS with a new DB.

Then link the server together with the connected server option.

You then can easily  transfer policies with the share policy option and transfer clients with the transfer client option.

This will allow you to migrate machines to the new server and migrate them back when things go wrong.

This way you keep your current server almost untouched...

• 2. Re: EPO 4.5 Server upgrade

I was not aware of this possibility, but it does not seem to address what I'm trying to achieve.  The new server would have to have a new name and IP address to coexist with the old server.  I'm probably missing something here...how does this method allow me to retire the old server?  As I understand it, all the agents are expecting to see the old server by name and IP address.  My intent is to retire the old server.  I had assumed that I woul have to build the new server off network and then go through the steps as if it were a "disaster recovery" scenario in order to get a new server up and running.  How does this method contribute?

• 3. Re: EPO 4.5 Server upgrade
              Arjen

Once all clients are transferred to the new server, you can retire the old server. The only thing that you won't migrate this way is the history reports. Please check the product guide for more information regarding the server linking and the client migration.