1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 3:19 PM by Ged

v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

We're trying out v5.2.9 on our corporate Win7 laptop image...  the first reboot after installation we are promted to login to Safeboot, but when the Windows login screen appears there is no login textbox or avatar, just a Cancel button and the Reboot features.

Image is relatively standard...  products also installed are McAfee OAS, MS Office, and a very limited amount of Local and Group Policy which map drives and change background images.

We are redirecting My Documents when logged in to the domain.

We do have UAC enabled (I am testing an install with UAC disabled at the moment)

Any tips on where else to diagnose what we could be doing in our image that is breaking the install?

• 1. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

usually means the credential provider was not installed, so I would look at any AV/HIPS/Personal Firewall type logs, and see if somethings blocking registry changes or the install of the CP.

• 2. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

Thanks for the quick response!

Any documentation on where the CP is trying to write in the registry?  I can check there BEFORE the first reboot -    Unfortunately, once we do the install we can not log in to the system - so we are unable to even view the logs :-( 

• 3. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

Tried again (we have made numerous attempts) - we disabled UAC, disabled Firewall, and a few other changes...

Same exact result.

SBAdmin is able to connect to the laptop - force sync works, force reboot works...     however, still stuck with no login prompt after logging in to endpoint, so we can't get in to Windows  - grr...

• 4. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

After authenticating in pre-boot, hit F8 and start Windows in Safe Mode - this will stop Windows using the EEPC Credential Provider and should allow you to access the PC - if you need to, simply rename the EEPC CP (typically in C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC - can't remember the v5 filename - I think it SbCp.dll) and restart - it won't be invoked at the next logon.

Do you know if you are using just the standard MS CPs in your build or might you have a 3rd party CP that is already filtering other CPs and stopping them displaying tiles?

• 5. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

I do not see any 3rd party cp's installed

The registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers) shows only the single CP of SbCredProv, which points to the correct class, the registry entry for the SbCredProv class has the correct file path to C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\SbCredProv.dll 

These cp's appear in the registry as classes,System32, and SysWOW64 -  but are not configured under the above reg key

VaultCredProv

BioCredProv

certCredProv

CWinCredProv

wincredprovider

Message was edited by: lando on 6/15/11 2:05:43 PM CDT
                  • 6. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

Umm... thats odd I think - only the SbCredProv appears in the registry under Authentication\Credential Providers?  I think the MS built-in ones should be there as well, like...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Cred ential Providers\{6f45dc1e-5384-457a-bc13-2cd81b0d28ed}  is the Password Provider

this probably explains why you are seeing no tiles (especially if you are running just with the SSO policy and not the require EE logon policy - which options have you set?)  the EEPC CP instantiates and wraps an instance of the MS password CP and smart card CP and then displays 'on their behalf' the credential tiles they would normally provide - if these CPs are not 'registered' then the EEPC CP is failing to instantiate them, and so says it has no tiles.

In your image, before installing EEPC, what do you have in the registry for CPs?  If the MS ones are defined, one approach to see if this is the cause might be to 'export' the CP key before installing EEPC and then after installing EEPC (but before the restart that will not let you logon), 'import' the built-in CP definitions again.

• 7. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

I deleted my last reply which said it was working...   blowing away the registry keys, and renaming the dll worked, but after the 2nd reboot the condition re-appeared.  *sigh*

I had mentioned that i wondered if this was related to trying to load a 32bit dll (SbCredProv.dll) on a 64bit Windows 7 - I read some places about 64bit logongui.exe not loading 32bit CP dll's

• 8. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

AHH

Why on earth would those providers be removed from our image?  hrm...

I exported the CP registry entry's from a "untampered" Windows 7 x64 install, imported ... and  -  NOW, on the 3rd reboot/test... all appears to be working perfectly

YOU, SIR, ARE A ROCK STAR IN MY BOOK.

Thank you so much

• 9. Re: v5.2.9 on Windows 7 SP1 - no login after reboot, just cancel & reboot

Heh heh - that made me chuckle - thanks Lando!

Let me check - is it the EEPC install that is deleting the built-in CP registry keys - or are they not in your image?

1 2 Previous Next