Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
1778 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2011 6:04 PM by Peacekeeper RSS
4650dn Newcomer 2 posts since
Jun 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2011 12:29 AM

no programs work after uninstalling mcafee

Hi.  I'm really hoping that someone can help me.  I have a Dell studio XPS running windows 7.  McAfee came installed.  The subscription is coming up, so I bought a more recent version of the program to update it.  I went to uninstall the old version of the program so that I could install the newer version by using the Add/Remove programs.  Things seemed to go well until it said it was time to reboot.  Upon rebooting, the computer would come up with the screen saying that it had been shut down incorrectly and give me options of either booting in safe mode or normally.  I chose normally initially, and then the computer would crash (blue screen), and go back to the screen saying it had shut down incorrectly.  I chose safe mode, and once there used system restore to go back to a point before I tried to uninstall the program.  I then spent some time online researching uninstalling McAfee, and on their site (as well as many others) saw instructions to use MCPR.exe.  I followed McAfee document ID: TS100507 instructions for Windows 7, and tried again.  The same thing happened, except after the system restore my computer will no longer run ANY of my programs (e.g. word, Excel, powerpoint, internet explorer).  All of my files are still there, but none of the programs work (the computer still recognizes that the programs are there as the files created by the program show the correct type, but if you try to open one it gives a message saying that there was a problem locating the program).  I've tried going directly to the program folders and executing them from there, but nothing happens.  So, now I find myself with a computer that, for all practical purposes, has no programs, BUT STILL HAS MCAFEE.  I'm assuming I need to get rid of McAfee and then reload all of the programs, but can't find anything about what to do.  PLEASE HELP!!!!

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,365 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Jun 11, 2011 3:17 AM (in response to 4650dn)
    Re: no programs work after uninstalling mcafee

Are you sure you haven't a trojan on the PC? Some exhibit this no exe program works issue and hide folders.

Run both these if necessary try the exe fix below  first

Then  Run the free Mcafee Stinger program from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ -

Also run Malwarebytes

The blue screen thingy is I feel a network driver issue ie it is an atheros driver lower than 238 and reacts with Mcafee

Steps to check Version of network Adaptor:

Open Device manager

Right click on Computer

click on manage

In the left hand panel click on Device Manager

Right click on network adaptor

Click on property

Make sure if its WLAN Atheros  driver Version  8.0.0.238

If not update the driver and make sure we get the latest.

If it’s not getting update check with OEM Website (system manufacture) or call your System vendor to get it updated.

EXE fix

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,365 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    3. Jun 11, 2011 6:04 PM (in response to 4650dn)
    Re: no programs work after uninstalling mcafee

Ok that initial blue screen was the atheros issue that I am sure of. The others could have been a corruption of a restore point but I would still run the stinger and MWB links.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points