Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2285 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2011 11:50 AM by Ex_Brit RSS 1 2 Previous Next
kalypso2k Newcomer 8 posts since
Jun 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 9, 2011 2:06 PM

WIN32/Blaster.worm

I am currently running Windows Vista (Home Basic?) and have had some major promblems recently. I think I have figured out that its because of this Blaster Worm. I have researched online how to delete it and everything says "download this" or "run that". The problem is I CANNOT connect to Internet Explorer using the infected computer (desktop). I am currently using my laptop...So if I can't get online, how do I get rid of it? (I also suspect it's not the only thing on there). Please help, as I am NOT very computer savvy and my husband is deployed...

Thanks,

Kathiy

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,500 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Jun 9, 2011 5:50 PM (in response to kalypso2k)
    Re: WIN32/Blaster.worm

Moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

A fully updated Windows should be 'Blaster-worm-proof' as it is such an old type of infection.

Can you please right-click 'Computer' and select 'Properties' and post what service pack, if any, is mentioned there.

Can you also open Internet Explorer and go to 'Help' > 'About' and tell me what that says for version.

Meanwhile try booting the computer into 'Safe Mode with Networking' which is #2 on the menu that you should see when you tap F8 repeatedly during boot-up.

In that mode, which hopefully stops Blaster from running but allows you Internet access, go to THIS website and download/install/update and run a full scan using the FREE version of that software.

Updating it first is very important in case this infection is a new variant.  Let it remove anything it finds and reboot if asked.

You can also run VirusScan for good measure in that mode by opening 'Computer', right-clicking the hard drive and selecting 'Scan'.  Do that first before running the other software.

You'll have to be patient as the scans may take some time.

Hopefully that will cure what ails your machine.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/06/11 6:50:28 EDT PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004
    3. Jun 10, 2011 8:38 AM (in response to kalypso2k)

Kathiy Kuehlthau wrote:

Thank you soo much for getting back to me. I am currently in the process of trying to go to this website and do what you suggested. In the meantime I was able to find that I am running Service Pack 2...Is this current? Also, Internet Explorer (tools, about IE) says Version 9.0.8112.16421 and below that says Update Versions: RTM (KB982861)...and while I am logged on in Safe Mode, McAfee pops up and says: Your Computer is at Risk. Check your status and when I click on that it says my Real-Time scanning is OFF, but when i try to turn it on, it's on for about 3 seconds then off again.....Again, I am not very computer savvy so I have no idea what all this means.

OH, and when I go to that website and click download, it takes me to another screen that says majorgeeks.com...huh?

Thanks again,

Kathiy

Message was edited by: kalypso2k on 6/10/11 8:29:11 AM CDT

It looks like your Internet Explorer & Windows Vista is up to date but make sure that Windows Update is turned on, just in case.  It should be set to what is shown in the following picture of mine (click to enlarge) - you can alter settings by opening Windows Update and clicking 'Change Settings' over at the left.    It most likely is already at that setting but it's wise to check anyway.

Capture.JPG

Don't worry about McAfee throwing up errors in Safe Mode - that's normal as SecurityCenter doesn't work in that mode, a scan initiated in the manner I described in the latter part of my response above does work though.

Also don't worry that the download of that software takes you to a 3rd party website, that's normal for them.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/06/11 9:38:54 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    5. Jun 10, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to kalypso2k)

There's probably no need to run VirusScan now, but that's up to you as it would detect things that Malwarebytes doesn't (and vice-versa as they are 2 different types of scanner).  In this case I would be inclined to run it anyway.

Not too sure about that sound issue, I would have to think about that a bit and get back to you.

What happens when you right-click the sound icon next to your system clock - open Volume Mixer and check that sound is turned on for everything?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/06/11 11:04:13 EDT AM

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    9. Jun 10, 2011 11:41 AM (in response to kalypso2k)

Ignore anything offering something for 'free'.

Maybe you should post about the sound issue on Vista Forums here:  http://www.vistax64.com/

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)