1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 4:08 PM by ewalker30

VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work

anvin0001

I set a Daily (at 15:00) schedule of my targeted scan for only Memory for Rootkits and Processes. Nothing else.

My PC is not  ON the whole time, but it should start  to scan even on its missed schedule. Am I correct?

This is not a Managed client. But still, sheduling SHOULD work even when Managed or not Managed.

Please help - Thanks.

• 1. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
          anvin0001

Hi - Its been sveral days now, and nothing has been scanned automatically with the time specified for this daily scheduled scan.

What can be the issues here?

• 2. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
            anvin0001

Hi, I really the help on this. I tried everything and still the scans show a week old passed the intended scan scheduled time.

I am running as an Admin, Task Scheduler service is indeed running on XP.

One thing thats really strange, is that the Autoupdate scheduled updates do run automatically with scheduling enabled and there are the same settings under Scheduled Scan as for the Targeted Scan. So it beats me.....

Please help. Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
              ewalker30

Check the schedule options and see if the "Run on missed task" checkbox is selected.

This should be checked, so that it can run when the schedule is missed.

If it isn't checked, then it will skip the last missed task, and wait for the next cycle.

• 4. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
                anvin0001

I tried everything and it will not work.

What about the Enable Randomization checkbox? I have that set to default which is 1 minute.

Message was edited by: anvin0001 on 7/3/11 1:09:26 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
                  ewalker30

The Randomization was intended for environments where you have multiple machines checking into ePO repositories for updates. It randomizes the scheduled update time, so that all the machines aren't hitting the repositories all at the same time.

If this is how your environment is set, then you should spread it out for longer than 1 minute. Basically, what you're doing is telling all machines that they have 1 minute to check in and start collecting updates.

If this is a single machine, then I wouldn't bother with this setting, and leave it unchecked. If you're in an Enterprise environment, and have a recurring schedule for checking/updating the dats, then you should use this withing the confines of the recurrence schedule.

For example, if you have it scheduled to check for updates once every 2 hours, then you should turn on the Randomization and set it for 1 hour and 45 minutes. This tells all clients that, every 2 hours, they should pick a random time within 1 hour and 45 mins to check for/pull down an update.

I hope this is helpful

• 6. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
                    ewalker30

While my notes above speak to updates, the same setting rules apply for scans as well. If you have a recurring scan, then the randomization setting will tell it to pick a random time to actually run. Setting it to 1 minute in this case is just telling it to randomize the start of the scan within 1 minute of the scheduled time, which isn't a good use of this setting.

You should definitely spread out the time to something more useful.

I believe in later versions of VSE, you can also set it to allow the user to postpone the scan as well.

• 7. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
                      anvin0001

Ok, I set the Enable Radomization to 8 hours and Run If Missed to 5 mins. I tend to leave my PC off most of the time.

And does the PC have to be truned ON the whole time for the scheduled scans to work?

• 8. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
                        ewalker30

I don't think you need to set it to 8 hours, unless you want the randomization window that big.

For most individual PCs, you can set to to run once weekly, and set the Run if Missed setting to an acceptable timeframe, to allow it to run if it missed the scheduled scan. No need for randomization there.

If you run frequently scheduled scans (once a day or once a week; or several times a week) and you leave the PC on, then you should run the randomization to not be so strict to the schedule you set.

Since you turn it on once in awhile, I'd do the following:

Create a memory scan task (a task that scans only memory and registry) and set that to run during system startup, set it to run only once a day, and set a delay of about 15 minutes (to give the system time to fully start up and load all system drivers, etc...). This will catch most of the stuff that might get caught in memory. Be sure to set the heuristics to at least Medium for this scan.

Create a weekly Full Scan task, which will be set to scan all files. You can set a Run Missed Task of about 12 minutes or so. This will allow the scan to run if the computer was turned off and missed the scheduled task.

That's it! :-)

• 9. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 5 / Targeted Scanning Schedule does not appear to work
                          anvin0001

I appreciate these tips. Once again, thanks for the help.

I will experiment with those settings.

BTW - how would I reset the Access Protection rules to its normal defaults?

I must of done something wrong in the Common Standard Protection settings and I want to revert to the default settings again.

Message was edited by: anvin0001 on 7/6/11 1:51:31 PM CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next