3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 10:21 AM by Laszlo G

How to upgrading VirusScan 8.7i to patch 5 using ePo 4.5?

Hi All,

I've only received 1 days training on McAfee ePo 4.5 so please forgive my lack of knowledge beforehand!

When checking the McAfee shield icon on client machines it says no. of patches installed = 2, assuming then that this means patch 2?

I would like to upgrade our company PC's to VirusScan 8.7i to Patch 5, I would like to update them as we have been experiencing a few slow down issues which i'm assuming Patch 5 should erradicate alot of these - I have already obtained the ZIP file from McAfee downloads.

Could someone walk me through deploying this to a small number of PC's initially to check for conflicts/problems before rolling out to the rest of the 120 or so PC's please? (i have been trawling through this site but can't quite find the required instructions for doing this)

I don't seem to be able to use the Evaluation Filter within the Master repository as this is greyed out?

Thanks in anticipation!!!

• 1. Re: How to upgrading VirusScan 8.7i to patch 5 using ePo 4.5?
          Laszlo G

Hi robaldo, first thing you need to do is to check the patch package into your repository through Menu->Software->Master Repository->Check-in package->Product or Update (.ZIP), select your zip file and at the next screen you'll see the details of this package. Once finished you'll see the package in your repository as "Hot Fix"

Next step is to plan a new task to upgrade this patch to every machine (or perhaps only workstations, depending on you) through System Tree->at MyOrganization (or at the group you want to deploy this patch)->Client tasks->new task->Product Update->select only VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0->Enable the task and schedule it immediately or daily, depending on how you want the deployment to be sent. Then click on Next and Save and your task will be ready.

Finally any computer will see the task at next communication to the ePO server (by default every 60 min) or you can send a wakeup call to all the computers.

Thats all

• 2. Re: How to upgrading VirusScan 8.7i to patch 5 using ePo 4.5?

Hi - Thanks for the speedy response.

If i check the Zip file into the Master Repository will this install this automatically to all PC's managed by the ePo? as from reading various posts already it seems this might be the case.....

Just wanted to clarify before doinf this

• 3. Re: How to upgrading VirusScan 8.7i to patch 5 using ePo 4.5?
              Laszlo G

If you only check the ZIP file into your master repository it won't be automaticaly deployed unless you set a deployment task as told before.

In fact you may have some products in your master repository that you will never use