1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 3:25 PM by Peter M

Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011

The McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011  I purchased at Office Depot in January finally updated itself from 2010 to 2011 on June 3, 2011.

I just see a few different features. Like "about" has been taken out of "navigation" and has its own link.

For some reason I have been updated to Dat 6367 (that dat number isn't shown as being ready yet).  And what the heck does Boot Dat Version mean?

McAfee Security Center

11.0 Build 11.0.55

last update 6/3/11

McAfee Virus Scan Version 15.0  Build 15.0.288

Last update 6/5/2011  Dat Version 6367  (dat creation date 6/4/2011)

Boot Dat Version 6355.0000

Boot Dat Creation Date 5/23/2011

Engine 5400.1158

McAfee Personal Firewall  version 12.0  build 12.0.335

Last Update 6/3/2011

McAfee Quick Clean Shredder  Version 11.0  Build 11.0.393

Last update 6/3/2011

• 1. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011

HELP!!

I just did a Full Scan, and I see I have a problem with this recent McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 update on June 5th, 2011.

I printed the report and see that the number of files scanned is very much smaller than my Scans before the 2011 update on 6/5/11

Previous scans "total item scanned" = 217416

The Full Scan today "Total Items Scanned"  was 50363

Something is very wrong here.

I suspect the reference to Boot Dat Version 6355.0000  created 5/23/2011  in my previous post above, must be connected somehow to a system restore we did around that time  to find a problem. Didn't find the problem so used the system restore to come back to the current date  on that day.

I fogot about McAfee needing to be shut down when doing system restore...but I don't know how to shut down McAfee anyway.

I need some advice here...as obviously McAfee is not  scanning all my files as it previously did before 5/23/11.

• 2. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011
            Peter M

It is best to disable antivirus when restoring but it isn't written in stone, as long as you right-click the taskbar icon and select Check for Updates immediately afterwards.

The software changes over time and in the way it scans so I wouldn't worry too much about an apparent discrepancy in number of files scanned.

You can check what is being scanned by opening SecurityCenter (right-click taskbar icon or double-click it)

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Excluded Files and Folders to see if any are being excluded.

Your DAT numbers are almost the same as mine...except I'm at 6369 now.  (Click image to enlarge)

I have no idea what Boot Dat means - I could ask someone but it would be while before I get an answer, I'll let you know what they say about that and the number of files issue.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/06/11 2:56:46 EDT PM
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011

Thanks Peter. I would appreciate it if you could find time to ask about "boot dat version" because it may just be coincidental that the date May 23 on it is very close to when we did the system restore. (I don't think we updated the dat until the evening that day  <aargh> )

I looked to see if anything was being excluded as you suggested, and there was nothing there, so I hope that's correct.

Your screen shot is for Total Protection, (I have AntiVirus Plus 2011) but the information inside the screen shot matches mine (How did you do that?)

Will try to stop worrying about this, and hope you get an answer from McAfee techs  about why the term boot dat version with a May date is being added to each day's dats.

Again, thanks for your support!

• 4. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011
                Peter M

How did I do that? - Vista/Windows 7's Snipping Tool is invaluable for that sort of thing and I am sure there is similar software out there for other OS's.

I've emailed one of McAfee's managers I know and am hoping for response soon.

• 5. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011

I am having a similar problem.  I have 3 computers with the 3 liscense internet security package.  On one of the 3 computers in auto updated to the new version 15.  The other 2 have not updated to the new version and are on 14.5.  I have tried manually checking for updates but for some reason I only get a DAT update or it says my programs are up to date when they are obviously not as they still are at 14.5

Any ideas short of reinstalling it would be appreciated.

• 6. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011
                    Peter M

What problem?   The new software is still not fully released to all servers so some machines get it and others don't....it'll happen.

• 7. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011

Thanks-I was not aware of how this worked.

• 8. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011
                        Peter M

It is kind of weird how it works, but you'll all be upgraded eventually.  Only 1 of my 3 OS's has upgraded so far.

• 9. Re: Finally got updated from AntiVirus Plus 2010 to AntiVirus Plus 2011
                          Peter M

Got an answer about the Boot Dat question posed earlier....

Boot DATs are what they sound like:  DATs that get used during the system boot. 

These are smaller, highly focused DATs that are loaded exclusively for the purpose of improving boot times (a major complaint we’ve heard from various sources). Once the system is up and running, the Boot DATs are released and the full DATs get utilized. 

Sorry I didn't get an answer yet regarding the different number of files that are scanned in a full scan between the new and old software.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          1 2 Previous Next