1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 9:27 PM by nyeshoda

Recover option not working

Hi

Currently testing out some EUSB devices (Standard V2 devices) with the hope of IT initialising them and then giving them out to users, then if a user loses the password IT have the ability to get the device and recover the data/ password.

I've deployed the USB client and USB administrator (V1.5) to an IT workstation, they can sucessfully initialise the device and the device shows up in ePO (4.5).  The problem is when they go into the Data Recivery tool on the IT workstation to recover the password/ device all they get it an option to enter ePO details (see below) but no combination of username or passowrds or ports seems to work.

Should this just work automatically or is there a specific port/ setting they should use?

any help greatly appreciated.

gR

http://www.gerryr.com/sshot/eusb_recover.jpg

• 1. Re: Recover option not working
          carleyc

I'm having this issue as well, any update? I opened a request and will post back if I get it resolved.

• 2. Re: Recover option not working

No update my side, I'll post anything I find here.

rgds

• 3. Re: Recover option not working

I opened a call about a week ago, still nothing back after I replied to the initial request for information . . . . .

• 4. Re: Recover option not working
                carleyc

Ya I opened an call too and same thing, no response. I don't have much faith in McAfee's support.

• 5. Re: Recover option not working
                  carleyc

Well i got the offical word, I have ePO 4.6 and Encrypted USB 1.5 is not supported only in ePO 4.5. We can't downgreade to 4.5 as we need 4.6 to migrate our EEPC.

Let me know if you do get it working with 4.5 anyway.

• 6. Re: Recover option not working

That's unfortunate 4.6 ins't supported, hopefully they release an update soon.

I'll let you know if I get it resolved.  No more than yourself, I feel McAfee support has really gone down hill over the past few years.  I know in this case they say it's a level 4 business not affected but at the same time we wen't out, purchased McAfee gear and we can't roll it out until we get this working.  They could move a bit quicker!

Rgds

• 7. Re: Recover option not working

After about 2 weeks of chasing up both myself and through our local McAfee rep I eventually get a call back from a McAfee tech.  We set up a remote session and go through the process.

In the recovery dialog I have the user in as domain\adminuser and it doesn't work, they guy removes the domain\ out of it and low and behold the thing recovers and creates a new password.  Now I probably tried 50 combinations of user/ passwords including the admin user without domain\ as that's what I log onto ePO with, however I try it again and it works again so I'm left slightly red faced but at least it works . . . . . .

Today I'm going through the process again to take screen shots to create some documentation, hit recover and get "Data Recovery was not successful".  Try it multiple times and keep getting the error.  Then for no reason it works, the only thing I think is maybe it's dependant on the order you insert the key and start the recovery application so I recycle and personalise the key and go through the recovery process in the same order as the last time it worked and all I'm getting is this error again.

It's driving me nuts, I have not doubt that I can eventually recover a key but without a reliable process in place I can't roll things out

gR

• 8. Re: Recover option not working

After much trial an error I think I found my problem,

Once I recycle the device and then initialise/ personalise it I was trying to recover the device before ePO had a chance to update the device entry after it had been reinitialised.

So this doesn't work:

Recycle Device

Personalise device

Recover Device

This does work:

Recycle Device

Personalise device

Initiate agent wake up call.

Recover Device

gR

• 9. Re: Recover option not working

Hi,

Sorry for not getting correct message on this.

Currently on ePO 4.6 with EUSB 1.5.0 does not support the "recycle" and "data recovery" using admin utility.

EUSB 1.5.1 supports the Data Recovery and Recycle on ePO 4.6

Here is the exact steps to perform the data recovery and recycle.

Prerequisite:

1. Device should have been managed by ePO and it should be in "foreign managed" device.

2. The device entry in the "Encrypted USB Devices" table should be up to date.

Data Recovery:

Steps:

1. Open "Data Recovery.exe"

2. Click on "Recover" option.

3. Under User information section

a. User name - Enter the username used to login to ePO from which the device was managed. (ePO login cradentials needs to be entered)

b. Password - Enter the password used to  login to ePO from which the device was managed.

4. Under server information section

a. Server - Enter the IP Address or server name of the ePO.

b. Port - Enter the port number which is used to access ePO.

5. Click on "OK"

6. User will be able to access the private partition and user can copy/take the backup of the data .

Device Recycle:

Steps:

1. Open "Data Recovery.exe"

2. Click on "Recycle" option.

3. Under User information section

a. User name - Enter the username used to login to ePO from which the device was managed. (ePO login cradentials needs to be entered)

b. Password - Enter the password used to  login to ePO from which the device was managed.

4. Under server information section

a. Server - Enter the IP Address or server name of the ePO.

b. Port - Enter the port number which is used to access ePO.

5. Click on "OK"

6. User will be able Re-Initialize the device.

1 2 Previous Next