1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 8:55 AM by Peter M

Windows XP Files replaced by unrecognised files after Security Centre Update - can't be restored

I have a 3-user Internet Security Suite. It was originally purchased in 2007 but is described as "versionless" so it is not really "version" 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010.

It is currently installed on only one computer with Windows XP Professional, SP3.

Following an update on 2 June 2011, which required a restart, I am now getting an error message from Windows - either on boot up or at some time later.

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD"

I did not buy my SP3 service pack as a CD from Microsoft to update from SP2 to SP3 but downloaded a large file from Microsoft. When I inserted this disc it stated that it was the wrong disc. However, I ran the file and after a long time of checking my system it did install just a few files (I did not watch to note which). I had to use the task manager (after about 30 minutes) to interrupt the cleaning up process which is what I had to do the first time I installed the SP3 pack.

After restarting, automatic updates provided a security update for Internet Explorer 8 but after that the error was still present and I am having to click appropriately to ignore this despite the warnings fromWindows, each time the error message appears.

It is so coincidental with the McAfee update that it very much looks as though this has something to do with it this since this error has not previously occurred.

Any ideas please?

Derek Shaw

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/06/11 5:16:47 EDT PM
        1 2 Previous Next