1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 3:34 AM by catdaddy Branched from an earlier discussion.

Artemis!DCB15374E733

wildfire

Hello Ex_Brit. I, too, am having an Artimus problem. I have found the culprit, but I don't know how to get rid of it without  cutting of my internet acess altogether.  This is what was found: C:\Program Files (x86)\BellSouth Application Management\\ bin\ McciControlInstaller_DDR.exe\2.nsis

Found Artemis!DCB15374E733 trojan.

This bug was found by Stinger. However, it says it can NOT be repaired!  Please help me. I clicked on the above link, but it is broken.

I am operating in safe mode now.  The screen resolution is not very good, so I hope I have conveyed to you the exact file in question.  Please let me know if you can help me!

I will await  your reply.

Thank you,

Janet   Woods

wildfire

• 1. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
          exbrit

You posted to a 2 year old thread and as this is a new detection I've given you your own thread.   Someone from the McAfee Labs should spot this now and answer.

Artemis is by defintion an unknown and it could equally as well be a false detection, especially as it appears to be part of your Bell software.  It's probably false if it removes your internet connection when deleted.

Send an email to  Virus_Research@avertlabs.com  with the Artemis detection name and the words "False Artemis!++++++" (where ++++ is the code given to it) as the subject line. (Minus the "").

So in this case the header would be False Artemis!DCB15374E733.

Also it might help to use System Restore to go back to before all this happened.  You can initiate System Restore in Safe Mode, Start/All Programs/Accessories and System Tools if this is Vista or Windows 7.

Why are you using Stinger and do you have regular McAfee protection installed?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/06/11 7:55:26 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
            Nitin Kumar

Hi,

I am looking into this issue.

Regards,

Nitin

• 3. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
              Nitin Kumar

Hi,

Thanksfor reporting the issue, no malicious activity found in the file and added to whitelist.

Please wait for 30 minutes and confirm if the issue is fixed.

Regards,

Nitin Kumar

McAfee SME

• 4. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
                wildfire

Thank you nownitin!  Glad to know it is not malicious.  Thank you very much for taking the time to research that for me.  Maybe you can help me with another problem.  About 5 months ago, my computer got infected with the FakeAlert virus.  It took much help from the community and several weeks before everything was cleared up.  When this virus first infected the computer, I had just gotten a very strange Java update alert.  I did not wait for me to accept it, it just installed.  I think this is how I got the Fake Alert virus on my computer. I have read that other people had the same experience, where a very strange, very fast flash of a Java alert and then the Fake Alert.

I do not have Fake Alert virus anymore, but every time I turn on my computer I get this same alert that I "NEED" this Java update.  I have checked with Java and I need NO update. I am up to date on all Java material, but I still get this request for update every time the computer is turned on.  I doesn't matter who gets on,  it comes up for everyone. Please tell me how I can stop this.  I am quite sure that this is the same thing that happened before, but for some reason, ( changed settings) I have been able to slow it down so that it doesn't automatically download.  I have instructed everyone to click on cancel and right click on the task bar to bring up task manager, find Java and "end program".  If we don't do the last part, end program, the popup with the fake Java update comes back up constantly while you are browsing.

Thank you so much for your patience as I have explained this.  I hope you can help me stop this once and for all.

Thank You,

Janet Woods

wildfire

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/06/11 12:42:40 EDT PM
                • 5. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
                  exbrit

Janet regarding that Java update, it could be for more than one browser, did you check in the Control Panel/Programs?

It should be version 6 update 25 or 1.6.0.25_b06 depending where you look.

Java has taken to auto updating lately which is actually a good thing and so has Adobe Flash etc

You might be able to get rid of that update popup by uninstalling Java altogether and then going to Java.com and downloading it again..

• 6. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
                    wildfire

Hello Ex_Brit and thank you for answering me. I do not have more than one browser and I am current on my Java updates.  I do have version 6 update 25.  Also, about the supposed Java update that keeeps coming up; it's the OLD Java icon (orange and white steaming cup) NOT the new Java icon, blue and white with a little bit of orange.  The use of the old icon asking me to update, as well as the fact that I am up-to-date, has raised my suspicions since this was the method through which my machine was infected previosly.

• 7. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
                      exbrit

I see, then if there is no spurious entry for an old Java in your Programs list in Control Panel I would run a full scan using the FREE version of THIS software, but update it before running.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/06/11 9:44:18 EDT PM
                      • 8. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
                        wildfire

Thank you so much for answering me.  I can only use my home computer late at night, so I'm sorry for the delay in answering you.  I have "Malwarebytes" and use it frequently.  I'll give it another try and post my results.

Many Thanks,

Janet Woods

wildfire

• 9. Re: Artemis!DCB15374E733
                          exbrit

Good luck.

1 2 Previous Next