7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 8:19 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

MCAFEE SECURITY ON LIBERTY RESERVE

There is a very serious problem with the security on liberty reserve,

i had paid some money into my mainaccount, i had logged out of my account and whilsti wasout some how over $353.00 usd had disappeared from my account

i cannot afford to lose this money

i have checked my computer,i have checked my accounts,and my emails have not been hacked into.

i also have scurity on my computer.

• 1. Re: MCAFEE SECURITY ON LIBERTY RESERVE
          Hayton

I think you need to take this up with Liberty Reserve, not with McAfee.

They can be contacted at https://www.libertyreserve.com/en/contactus

Liberty Reserve recommend the use of Liberty Guard, a Firefox add-on, when you access your account with them.

• 2. Re: MCAFEE SECURITY ON LIBERTY RESERVE
            Ex_Brit

Please clarify what McAfee products you have installed and what operating system and service pack and browser/version you are using.

Also clarify if your machine is used by anyone else and are the individual computer user accounts password protected?

Also clarify if you paId this money into your account online or in person and have you asked Liberty Reserve what is going on regarding the missing money?

For instance it's common practice for banks to put a hold on newly deposited funds if they are paid in using a cheque, unless you have overdraft protection or have funds in the account already to cover it should it bounce, but not too sure this one qualifies as a bank at first glance as it's offshore.

It's more likely that it's their security that has been breached if it has and more likely than that they simply have internal problems.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/06/11 8:23:01 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: MCAFEE SECURITY ON LIBERTY RESERVE

05/31/2011 11:48              xxxxxxxxx                        xxxxxxxxx (MAIN MTF ACC...)   - $353.60             $0.00     $0.04    Hide

Merchant Reference:    Memo: Monthly Transfer Fee - $353.60 - CODE: xxxxxxxx

THE ABOVE IS THE MONEY THAT HAS GONE MISSING FROM MY LIBERTY RESERVE ACCOUNT.

I HAVE CONTACTED THE EXCHAGE COMPANY THAT AREA TRUSTED EXCHAGE WEBSITE ABOUT THE MONEY,

I HAVE ALSO LOGGED INTO LIBERTY RESERVE AND SENT A EMAIL TO THE ACCOUNT NUMBER ABOVE,

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A REPLY.

THE OPERATING SYSTEM ON OUR COMPUTER IS WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

BROWSER IS GOOGLE CHROME

COMPUTER IS A HOME COMPUTER ONLY USED BY MYSELF & MY HUSBAND

PASSWORD PROTECTED

SECURITY IS LICENSED FULL  GENUINE OF AVG

I CONTACTED LIBERTY RESERVE ABOUT THIS MONEY WHO SAID THAT THERES NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT LOSING THIS MONEY,AND ADVISED ME TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD AND LOGIN DETAILS.

WHICH I HAVE DONE.

THE MONEY WAS TAKEN FROM MY MAIN ACCOUNT ATLIBERTY RESERVE NOT THE WALLET.

I NEED THIS MONEY AS IT WAS NEEDED FOR FOOD FOR MY CHILDREN.SOME-ONE HAS EMPTIED MY ACCOUNT,AND LEFT ME AND MY FAMILY IN DESPERATE CIRCUMSTANCES

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/06/11 8:26:32 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: MCAFEE SECURITY ON LIBERTY RESERVE
                Ex_Brit

Your security software is AVG?   You should be contacting AVG through their support.

http://www.avg.com/ca-en/support change your region at the top right.

If this still concerns McAfee somehow please explain more fully.

As Liberty Reserve is an offshore concern based in Costa Rica and I see that you are in Spain (according to your IP address which we can see),  my advice would be to use one of the national Spanish banks in future.

By the way I do sympathize with your loss but I don't see where we come into it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/06/11 8:24:23 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: MCAFEE SECURITY ON LIBERTY RESERVE
                  Ex_Brit

P.S. I obliterated account details fro your post above for security reasons but at second glance I see that it says...

Monthly Transfer Fee - $353.60

That appears to be a deduction - a fee for transactions

They should be able to explain that I would have thought.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/06/11 8:29:38 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: MCAFEE SECURITY ON LIBERTY RESERVE

I HAVENT MAD E    ANY TRANSACTIONS.

I HAVE AN API SET UP FROM A COMPANY THAT I WORK WITH THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PAYING MONEY INTO MY ACCOUNT.

LIBERTY RESEVE HOLD THE BALANCE NOT ME,AND I AM WAITINGFOR THE MONEY TO BE CREDITED TO MY ACCOUNT.

I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE IS A CHARGE FOR THIS AS LIBERTY RESRVE DO NOT ANSWER MY EMAILS

• 7. Re: MCAFEE SECURITY ON LIBERTY RESERVE
                      Ex_Brit

Please don't use all caps as it makes it difficult to read, thanks.

Regarding emails don't ever put personal information in an email, especially banking details as it is not a secure form of communication.  I see they have online Chat support as well, far better do that.

At the moment I can't reach their website to check if that is secure or not or to check if there are other ways of contacting them.  You know a web page is secure if it's address starts with https - the s is important.

Have you contacted the originator of the payment to see if they know anything?

Can you clarify how McAfee may be involved here?  I don't see the connection.