1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 1:09 PM by rogerio.jacinto

Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6

Hi

I'm novice to EPO client deployments. The only thing that I managed to work is the upgrade of the dats of the manual installed products(Virusscan 8.7 and 8.8)

So I'm trying to go a step foward, that is deploy within EPO new software versions.

But EPO 4.6 just doesn't let me deploy any new version.

For ex. to deploy Mcafee Agent 4.6 when I go to the system tree - select one pc - Deploy Mcafee Agent - EPO only shows Mcafee Agent for Windows 4.5.0(current). How do I do to appears there Mcafee Agent for Windows 4.6.0?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation

MP

• 1. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6
          A-CAST

Although I have experience with ePO since version 3.0, I ran into this confusion myself when using 4.6.  Even though it shows Agent 4.6 in the master repository it's really just portions of the release candidate extensions for that agent version...the actual Agent 4.6 has not been released yet to the world, so ePO 4.6 is installed by default to use Agent 4.5 which is why you see it as the current one.

Hope this helps the confusion and answers your question. 

• 2. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6

Hi A-Cast

Thanks for your answer, but no itdoesn't answer!

I do want do deploy the VirusScan 8.8and EPO 4.6 doesn't let me do it!

When I launch the task of deploy, itsimple doesn't happens nothing!

Then I searched and it apparently saysthat if I don’t have Mcafee Agent 4.6 it will not work!

I want to know the correct steps todeploy the VirusScan 8.8 through EPO 4.6!!

Please can you provide me the correct steps to achieve this goal?

Kind Regards

MPMcafeeagent46.png

• 3. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6
              A-CAST

Ok, first of all the screen shot you sent is showing you the "Extensions" of ePO 4.6 which is version 4.6.  This is the part that I told you from my earlier post that confused me too, but if you look in your Master Repository you'll see the actual version of the McAfee Agent is 4.5 as my screen shot shows:

McAfee Agent Version.png

As for showing you how to deploy VSE 8.8, the best thing to do is run through the Guided Configuration Wizard from the ePO 4.6 dashboard.  This is what I did along with reading up on the Install and Product guides for ePO 4.6 and it's fairly simple.  The Guided Configuration worked for me and it was a simple process.

Message was edited by: A-CAST on 6/2/11 9:29:23 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6

Hi A-Cast

Thanks very much for your help, now I do can config the deployment of VirusScan 8.8. BUT it don't work at all!

The task of deploy simple doesn't work!!

result1.jpgmcafee2.jpg

There must be something that I'm missing...

Kind Regards

MP

• 5. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6
                  A-CAST

I see that you have multiple tasks created, so I'm guessing that as you went through the Guided Configuration you always selected for the deploy task to happen every time which you don't need to.  Delete all of them, and start over that way you'll know you have one to work with then I recommend at this point that you read up on the McAfee documentation for ePO 4.6, both the Installation and Product Guides...this along with the Guided Configuration wizard is how I was able to make it work the first time around.

If you do this and still cannot get VSE 8.8 deployed then something else is definitely wrong and it's not really something I could help with without looking deeper at your environment which I can't do, so it's best to contact McAfee support and have them resolve this for you.

• 6. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6

Incasis: I have the same problem as you do. I can deploy the agents and that works fine, but when I try to deploy VS 8.8 (select the system(s), choose actions, agent, run client task now) in the bottom window it shows that "0 systems are affected" because "the agent version (4.5.xxxxx) doesn't support run now".

To answer A-CAST's suggestions, I've used the guided configuration and looked at the product guides for EPO 4.6 and Agent 4.6. I must be overlooking the answer you want me to find.

You obviously have the time to write several paragraphs, so why not just tell us what the steps are to make this thing work?

By the way, if anyone from Mcafee is reading this, please let me state that EPO has a HORRIBLE user interface. Better than 4.0, I guess, but still not very easy to use.

• 7. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6
                      A-CAST

1fstcat - You made me laugh when you said I obviously have the time to write several paragraphs, so why not just tell you how to do this.    Seriously, I wrote a few lines maybe in a total of 2 small paragraphs...not something that would take as long as creating a step-by-step guide, but you made me laugh so I did it for you anyway.  Here goes nothing:

1. Click on Menu --> Policy --> Client Task Catalog

2. Click on “New Task” at the bottomof screen

3. For Task Types, select “Product Deployment” from the pull down menu

4. For Task Name, call it whatever you like (i.e. – Install VSE 8.8)

5. For Target Platforms, select “Windows” NOTE: This is checked already for you when creating the task

6. For Products and components, Select VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0.777 from the pull down menu, for Action, select “Install”,for Language, select Language Neutral, for Branch, select Current  NOTE – Once you select VSE 8.8 therest will be filled in for you.

7. For Options, check “Run at every policy enforcement (Windows Only)

8. For Postpone Deployment, I leave unchecked…I wouldn’t want end users controlling when this would be deployed.

9. Click Save

This ends the Client Task creation step.  Now, go to 2nd Phase steps below:

1. Click on Menu --> Systems --> Systems Tree

2. Click on the group that your workstation is located in

3. Select the “Assigned Client Tasks” tab, here you should see the Client Task created earlier (i.e. - Install VSE 8.8)

4. Click Actions --> New Client Task Assignment

5. For Task to Schedule, Product = VSE 8.8, Task Type = Product Deployment, Task Name = Install VSE 8.8

6. Lock task inheritance is defaulted to Unlocked

7 Tags, select which choice best fits your environment and what you’re trying to accomplish.

8. Click Next

9. Setup Schedule, click Next

10. Click Save

Now, all you should have to do is go to the workstation that the McAfee Agent is already installed on and "Wake Up Agent" on that client, so that the task you created will deploy.  If this doesn't work then you really need to contact McAfee support because there could be other issues causing your problem...and I really don't have the time to troubleshoot 

• 8. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6

Thank you, A-CAST! I'll give that a shot and let you know how it goes! Sorry if I was being a bit abrasive, just frustrated!

THANKS!!

• 9. Re: Deployment of Virusscan 8.8 with EP0 4.6

Hello Everybody,
                          I am a new one here, and I've work with McAfee many years ago, about 10.

Now I'm back.

I am with the same problem you reported, I want to install VirusScan 8.8 on clinet PCs.y

I tried your nice step by step guide, but it did fail on
                          6. For Products and components, Select VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0.777 from the pull down menues not apear

Because it does not apear.

I have a menu on the left, with Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8.0, but tasks are only On Demand Scan and Restore from Quarantine.

Best Regards

Rogerio Jacinto
                          Portugal/Angola

1 2 Previous Next