6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 4:46 AM by JoeBidgood

How to connect to an external database

jj4sec

Hello, I would like to connect to an external database server to get more information on systems detected via EPO. on page 20 of the prodcut guide I found the following :" Retrieving data from different sources Queries can retrieve data from any registered server, including databases external to ePolicy Orchestrator." How can I register a database server (I only have the option EPO, LDAP and SNMP) ?

• 1. Re: How to connect to an external database
          JoeBidgood

For querying, ePO can only retrieve data from another ePO server.  Can you expand a bit on what you are trying to achieve?

Thanks -

Joe

• 2. Re: How to connect to an external database
            jj4sec

Joe,

Thanks for the response.

I'm struggling with the lack of information in the EPO server.  We are a big company and the management of EPO is devided over different countrys/customers.  Because the AD structure isn't covering all the details of the organization, I'm looking for an alternative solution.

On of the things I see is SIR but I can't use the collected info in my query reports (only in SIR reports).  Because I swa that EPo 4.6 could queriy any database server that is registered, I was looking how I could connect to our inventory database.

My main issues are :

* Need more info in EPO on hosts (this info is available mostly in the registry or is in our inventory database)

* I need to give persons access to systems that are a subpart of the AD structure or to machines in different parts of the AD structure.  I would like to link them based on a group membership or something like that or at least give them the possibility to quickly find/report on the machines they are responsible for (reg-key, info from inventory database )

Kind regards,

• 3. Re: How to connect to an external database
              JoeBidgood

Ah, OK. I'm afraid there may be some confusion there - ePO can't query just any database, but only other ePO servers. I'm afraid you're stuck with what ePO can collect

However, there may be some things that you can do to help. As long as you're using MA4 or above, you can use the custom properties functions. Basically any data that you choose to write to (up to) four registry values will be sent back to the server, where you can query on it, assign tags based on it, and so on. That might be a starting point: I'm sure some of the other posters are using these properties in creative ways and can give you some more advice

Regards -

Joe

• 4. Re: How to connect to an external database
                jj4sec

I know this feature but there are some disadvantages on it.

First of all, I need to feed this key's while the info I need is already stored in the registry.

The four values are too limited. (asset tag, responsible team, machine role, subcustomer,  machine type, internal stack version, ....)

The SIR can query the key's but I can't use them in the reports. Not logical should I think.

Also the four custom props are not logical.  Why not allow it to read-out whatever key.

Kind regards,

• 5. Re: How to connect to an external database
                  jj4sec

Joe,

Please read the product manual on page 261 paragraph "using database servers".

If I read this part, it should be possible to query other databases.

Kind regards,

• 6. Re: How to connect to an external database
                    JoeBidgood

Okay, I think I see where the confusion lies. The critical part of this paragraph is the line "ePolicy Orchestrator can retrieve data from not only its own databases, but those provided by some extensions as well." (emphasis mine.)

What this is effectively saying is that ePO 4.6 can read other databases, as long as it has an extension that allows it to interpret the data in that db. I would imagine that this is intended for things like support of third-party products, and better integration with other McAfee systems like Policy Auditor or Foundstone, for example.

As I understand it, unfortunately, in order to integrate with your existing databases, you will need an extension to allow ePO to communicate with them. This might be something the Professional Services team could provide, but it's not something I can help with - sorry

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful