6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2011 4:09 PM by Ex_Brit RSS

White Blank Screen - McAfee Internet Security

Hello

I have finally lost my patience with this problem and have decided to post on these discussion forums.

I have recently had a problem with McAfee Internet Security. I first was made aware of this problem one day when I turned on my PC to play my usual games, and noticed I kept randomly getting tabbed out and back to the desktop. I thought it was to do with McAfee as I thought it would be a virus scan running or something. I attempted to open McAfee by clicking the icon in the bottom tray, nothing happened. I then went into start and opened it via that menu, the screen that came up was blank. I thought it was just a bug so restarted my PC and suddenly McAfee was working again so played my games.

Then the next day I came on to play some more games and the same thing happened. I restarted, but it didn't resolve the problem this time. This was 2 days ago now, and it is still causing problems. The icon in the bottom tray does nothing, and when I open it through start menu I just get a white screen. If I want to do ANYTHING on my PC without McAfee minimising or interfering with whatever I'm doing and putting the blank screen up on my desktop, I have to end several processes running that are in relation to my McAfee product.

After a few days I obviously got annoyed at this and started looking for solutions, only to find I am not the only person with this problem.

I found several different "solutions" including:

Reinstalling IE8

Uninstalling and then Reinstalling IE8

Ending the processes and starting them again.

None of these worked at all. I saw some people commenting on "beta IE" but I never downloaded or updated to any beta internet explorer products. I would also like to state that I have not updated or touched any new files in the few days this has happened.

I then decided that I would uninstall McAfee and Reinstall it as it might be a problem with the program itself. I go into control panel and click uninstall programs etc, but to my delight when I try to uninstall the program a white blank screen pops up and I can do NOTHING to get the program uninstalled. I'm at a loss as what to do.

This is the first problem I have had with McAfee in all my years of using it.

Any help would be appreciated.

GRIMMMMM

• 1. Re: White Blank Screen - McAfee Internet Security
          Ex_Brit

Hi,

What is your operating system and service pack?

Have you run any registry cleaners or used System Restore lately?

You could possibly have acquired an infection.

Try downloading, then updating and running a full scan with the FREE version of THIS software.

Let it remove anything it finds.

If it wont install in regular mode all of the above can hopefully be attained in 'Safe Mode with Networking' choice number 2 on the menu you get after tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/05/11 8:55:10 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: White Blank Screen - McAfee Internet Security
            Ex_Brit

I forgot you asked about uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee.  Try checking for malware first.  Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed in Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot and reinstall from the online account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/11 7:57:31 EDT PM
            • 3. Re: White Blank Screen - McAfee Internet Security

Hi !

I have been reading up these forums as I am facing the same problem. I noticed this problem around a week back, when I stopped getting a dialog from McAfee to restart my computer after installing the updates. I tried to open Security Center from the task bar, and when it would not do so, I opened it from the start menu. A blank screen opens and the only way to close it is by right-clicking the icon on the task bar. I thought of re-installing it, but that page is blank too!

I looked up McAfee website to get "technical support". The VirtualTechnician doesn't work, and I don't have chat available for my country. Starting to get annoyed, I looked online for possible solutions. I have Windows Vista sp2 on my computer, I don't have IE 9 or its beta version, and i have not updated anything recently. I have not done any system restore nor have I used registry cleaners. MCPR doesn't help and I cannot uninstall from Programs and Features as a blank window pops up. I have tried ending the processes too. I read about re-registering scripts, but when I search for "CMD" there is nothing found! I tried installing other antivirus, but it would not as it detects McAfee. I also downloaded and used the anti-malware program suggested in these forums, and to my utter delight my computer is infected in spite of using an original paid antivirus. Anyhow, I deleted all the infected files and rebooted, only to find a blank screen yet AGAIN when I open Security Center. And oh, I also sent feedbacks to McAfee and there has never been any response so far. So I am completely FED UP! I have been using McAfee for 5 years, but never did I ever have such annoying problems. I don't even want this antivirus to work anymore. I don't care about the money I spent either, I just want to get rid of it now so i can use some better antivirus! I would really appreciate if I could get any genuine help on how to remove this useless program from my computer! Thank you!

• 4. Re: White Blank Screen - McAfee Internet Security
                Ex_Brit

Try installing IE9.  Whether or not you use IE, McAfee does.   If that doesn't help then try uninstalling McAfee via Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program.   Then run the MCPR cleanup tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

No antivirus will guarantee you 100% proff against everything out there.  It's wise to carry some extra anti-malware tools.  A few are mentioned here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

• 5. Re: White Blank Screen - McAfee Internet Security

Hi !

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post. But, as I mentioned I DONT have IE9. Also, as I mentioned before, I CANNOT uninstall as i find a blank uninstall page. MCPR tool naturally does not help. I DON'T want the program anymore. Just tell me how to remove it all from my comp! Thank you!

• 6. Re: White Blank Screen - McAfee Internet Security
                    Ex_Brit

Try downloading IE9 in order to fix the blank screen problem.  Then you can proceed whatever way you want.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/home