3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 10:25 AM by exbrit

Activate McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 Without internet connection

I have installed McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 from CD. I now need to activate my product but I do not have an internet connection. My security policy dictates that this workstation is not allowed to connect to the web. How do I get around this? Will my product stop working in 15 days?

many thanks

• 1. Re: Activate McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 Without internet connection
          k3tg

McAfee relies on an internet connection to be activated so you can register the software and receive the daily updates. I do not know of any way around this.

• 2. Re: Activate McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 Without internet connection

Many tahnks for the quick response. Basically, I am stuck! There is no way that this PC can be connected to the web so I have software that will stop fuctioning in 15 days. THANK YOU McAFEE.

What McAfee AV can I use that does not require internet activation or update?

many thanks.

Ch1cag0

• 3. Re: Activate McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 Without internet connection
              exbrit

As Tom says, McAfee needs to connect to the web for activation and daily (sometimes more often) updates.

The requirement for an Internet connection is right there on the product System Requirements page. (Click image below to enlarge).

If you just purchased the product you can easily get a refund, just contact Customer Service by phone (toll-free) via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

There are no PC anti-virus and firewall protection products by McAfee that can function without an active web connection.

Best ask some questions on an independent Security forum for recommendations.   Sorry to disappoint you.

A suggestion might be a USB flash-drive based type of protection which can be updated using a machine that is connected, but what exactly, I don't know.

McAfee's 'VirusScan USB' only protects the USB drive it is installed on and can only advise or recommend protection for any computer it is attached to.

It is only good for U3 drives anyway so is basically becoming obsolete as that protocol is being phased out.

It's going to be difficult as all antivirus applications need to update regularly due to constantly emerging new malware, software firewalls less frequently.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/11 11:25:48 EDT AM