1 2 3 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2009 3:50 PM by Grif

Where is my Security Center???

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but hopefully it's not a problem.

I recently installed VirusScan Enterprise 8.5, after previously using version 8.0. In order to do so, I had to remove all of my McAfee software and now I don't have a McAfee security center. Also, when I click to update the VirusScan, nothing comes up. This all started last week when my computer said that I had a bunch of viruses and that my security may be compromised.

Moved from Security Center 8 (Home products) to Desktop & Server - MOD
        • 1. RE: Where is my Security Center???
          Sounds like you had the "retail" version of VirusScan 8 installed previously... The Enterprise versions such as 8.0i and 8.5i don't have the retail "Security Center". That is 'as designed".

What do your virus definitions and scan engine versions show? Which Patch number is installed? (RIGHT click on the McAfee shield in the lower right corner, choose "About VirusScan Enterprise". )

In the meantime, have you run any online scans to make sure you've removed everything, including spyware from the machine? If not, while in Internet Explorer, please click on THIS LINK and run the free online scan.. Delete anything that's detected.

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: Where is my Security Center???
            Thanks for helping me out!

I clicked on the link and ran the scan and clicked to delete the 38 or so infections it detected, but I don't think it did anything; it kind of seemed like the page froze, so maybe that was the problem.

I do not see where it says virus definitions, but the scan engine version (32-bit) is 5200.2160 and it says "Installed Patches: 1."

Also, I re-installed VirusScan Enterprise to see if that would make the autoupdate feature start again and it did. However, now it's just stuck on the step "Searching available updates for Engine." and it's been stuck on this step for an hour now. The first time I installed VirusScan and ran the autoupdate, I had the same problem.
            • 3. RE: Where is my Security Center???
              My update is back to not opening up again. When I click to run an update, nothing shows up. It seems that it only opens up the first time after I install VirusScan each time.
              • 4. RE: Where is my Security Center???
                I'm guessing you still have an infection.. So please try this:

Download the Free home user antispyware tool from THIS LINK. Install it on your computer, then update it.. Once that's done, restart the computer into Safe Mode, then run a full system scan with the tool. Delete anything it finds.. Let us know what types of things are being found by the tool.

By the way, there is a new Patch #4 for your VS 8.5i.. Use your Grant Number to download and install it.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif
                • 5. RE: Where is my Security Center???
                  I downloaded and installed SUPERAntiSpyware and ran a quick scan four times, but not in safe mode. Each time the scans were finished, I chose to quarantine the files, however, for quite a few of the files, it said it was adding them instead of quarantining/deleting them. I'm not sure why this is, and my viruses still haven't gone away, so maybe this is a reason why.

I'm about to run a full scan in safe mode and see what happens this time. I would post the logs from my previous four quick scans, but it says that they're too long, so I'm just going to wait and post the log from the full scan I'm about to run.
                  • 6. RE: Where is my Security Center???
                    Reading your thread again brings to mind some Rogue Antispyware programs that constantly notify the user of security breaches from the lower left corner of the computer screen.. If the safe mode scan with SuperAntispyware doesn't get rid of your problem, then try the steps below. The SmitFraudFix tool is frequently required to remove some of those types of spyware.:

First, download the free tools below to your desktop:

SmitFraudFix Tool

Antispyware Removal Tool

After that, install the Antispyware program and update it.

Once that's done, then restart into Safe Mode and run the SmitFraudFix tool and restart into "normal" Windows when it says to do so.. Let SmitFraudFix finish, then restart into Safe Mode again. Once there, run a full system scan with the Antispyware tool.

Hope this helps.

Grif
                    • 7. RE: Where is my Security Center???
                      I just ran a complete scan with SUPERAntiSpyware in safe mode and I still have the viruses on my computer. I'm going to use the SmitFraudFixTool and Antispyware Removal Tool, as you suggested, to see if that works. Here is the log from the complete scan I just ran with SUPERAntiSpyware (in two posts):

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
                      http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 11/03/2007 at 06:31 PM

Application Version : 3.9.1008

Core Rules Database Version : 3337
                      Trace Rules Database Version: 1338

Scan type : Complete Scan
                      Total Scan Time : 01:17:56

Memory items scanned : 164
                      Memory threats detected : 1
                      Registry items scanned : 6723
                      Registry threats detected : 18
                      File items scanned : 45380
                      File threats detected : 115

Trojan.WinFixer
                      C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JKHFC.DLL
                      C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JKHFC.DLL
                      HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{ABB47E04-E5B2-4A88-9597-4E801E270889}
                      HKCR\CLSID\{ABB47E04-E5B2-4A88-9597-4E801E270889}
                      HKCR\CLSID\{ABB47E04-E5B2-4A88-9597-4E801E270889}\InprocServer32
                      HKCR\CLSID\{ABB47E04-E5B2-4A88-9597-4E801E270889}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
                      HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{ABB47E04-E5B2-4A88-9597-4E801E270889}

Unclassified.Unknown Origin
                      HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}
                      HKCR\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}
                      HKCR\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}
                      HKCR\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}\InprocServer32
                      HKCR\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
                      C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZYUWQIYO.DLL
                      HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar#{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}
                      HKU\S-1-5-21-3782529122-2540004160-38494991-1005\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser#{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}

Adware.Vundo Variant
                      HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}
                      HKCR\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}
                      HKCR\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}\InprocServer32
                      HKCR\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
                      HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}
                      HKCR\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}
                      C:\PROGRAM FILES\HAMMER.DLL

Adware.Tracking Cookie
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@statse.webtrendslive[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ehg.hitbox[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@mediaplex[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@atwola[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@media.adrevolver[3].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@www.burstbeacon[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@adbrite[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@fastclick[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ads.bridgetrack[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@media.adrevolver[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@zedo[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@sales.liveperson[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@ads.monster[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@redorbit[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@doubleclick[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@web10.mosteffectivemedia[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@eztracks.aavalue[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@bestsellerantivirus[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ad.yieldmanager[3].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@doubleclick[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@specificclick[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@adrevolver[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ar.atwola[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@adinterax[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@counter.hitslink[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@revsci[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@realmedia[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@upspiral[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@realmedia[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@hitbox[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@mediamax[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@2o7[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@partner2profit[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@server.iad.liveperson[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@serving-sys[4].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@www.upspiral[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@tribalfusion[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ads.pointroll[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@edge.ru4[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ehg-davidsbridal.hitbox[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@statcounter[6].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@247realmedia[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ads.revsci[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ads.adbrite[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@stats.sphere[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@www.burstnet[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@advertising[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@tacoda[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@interclick[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@questionmarket[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@ar.atwola[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@northwestairlines.112.2o7[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ehg-viacom.hitbox[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@advertising[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@adopt.specificclick[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@anat.tacoda[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@atdmt[4].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@bs.serving-sys[3].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@enhance[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@2o7[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@www.mediamax[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@fastclick[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ads.auctionads[2].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@mediaplex[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@atwola[1].txt
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
                      • 8. RE: Where is my Security Center???
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ehg-streamload.hitbox[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ads.auctionads[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@brightcove.112.2o7[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\system@atdmt[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@www.admedia365[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@sales.liveperson[3].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@adlegend[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@trafficmp[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@burstnet[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@indextools[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@viacomedycentralrl.112.2o7[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ehg-dig.hitbox[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@apmebf[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@goclick[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ads.addynamix[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ads.pubmatic[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@sexbuddies[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@overture[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@2o7[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@2o7[3].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@2o7[4].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@2o7[5].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@atdmt[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@atdmt[3].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@atwola[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@atwola[3].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@bs.serving-sys[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@bs.serving-sys[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@doubleclick[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@doubleclick[3].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@doubleclick[4].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@serving-sys[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@serving-sys[3].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@statcounter[1].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@statcounter[2].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@statcounter[3].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@statcounter[4].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@statcounter[5].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@statcounter[7].txt
                        C:\Documents and Settings\Kathryn Lerner\Cookies\kathryn_lerner@tradedoubler[2].txt

Trojan.Downloader-Gen/Suspicious
                        C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\KATHRYN LERNER\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\1193444864.DAT.EXE
                        C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\KATHRYN LERNER\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\1194121505.DAT.EXE

Trojan.Unknown Origin
                        C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\KATHRYN LERNER\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\IS-OQMJV.TMP\GFL.EXE
                        C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\KATHRYN LERNER\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\IS-TKGG7.TMP\GFL.EXE
                        • 9. RE: Where is my Security Center???
                          Looks like you may have Vundo as well.. Here's a link for the VundoFix removal tool as well.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/VundoFix-Download-33165.html

# Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
                          # When VundoFix re-opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.
                          # Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
                          # You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
                          # Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
                          # When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif
                          1 2 3 Previous Next