1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 10:32 AM by Troja

VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp

lfah2000

Hi,

I am looking for information about virusscan for storage. We are planning to use NetApp with McAfee and I have questions about the sizing for this.

I have seen this thread (https://community.mcafee.com/message/154876#154876).

What is the number of scanning servers related to NetApp devices?

I have seen the NetApp Antivirus Scanning Best Practices Guide but still have questions.

(PS. I am new to NetApp.)

• 1. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp
          Terje

We have one netapp device and we have two scanning servers, the netapp device uses both scannings server at the same time and if one of the scanning servers go down then your files will still be scanned so it good to have a minimum of two scanning servers.

I think the amount of scanning servers depend on how much load there are on the netapp device(s) / how many users who read/write to the netapp device at the same time.

I also didnt know how many scanning servers i needed so before we bought the license for VSE for storage to netapp

we got a test version (which actually was the full licensed version hehe) from our software vendor and we tested it on our NetApp production environment (hehe) and found out that 2 scanning servers was enough for our environment

so we added two VSE for storage licenses to our campus agreement with our software vendor.

we have used this for almost a year and we still have two scanning servers with 3000+ users connected to the netapp device

I hope this can guide you to the right decision for your environment..

• 2. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp

Hello guys, that is usefull information for me too. I was wondering how to size scanning servers. We will go with test environment first.

One more question still. Scanning server is storing (caching) files during scan operations, how much disk space is it using? I suppose same size as actual scanned file. How you determine that for 3000+ users?

Thank you

• 3. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp
              Terje

i think it only stores a hash value of a file until its modified then it generates a new hash with the NetApp module... if you use ICAP i think it stores that information in a different way

because the c drive on each of my scanner servers is about 50GB and it has only used about 15GB for OS and VSE client

Message was edited by: Terje on 30/05/11 15:23:46 IST
              • 4. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp
                Terje

my scanning server specs

Hardware platform: VMware Sphere 4

Memory: 2GB

CPU: 2

C Drive: 50GB using 15GB

McAfee installed software: VSE 8.7 - Agent 4.5p2 - VSE for Storage 1.0p1 (NetApp)  (VSE8.8 and VSE for storage 1.0p1 is not supported by mcafee)

on 30/05/11 16:04:52 IST
                • 5. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp

OK, that makes sense. I found that ICAP scanner place files in the disk, but not NetApp.

Thanks for update.

• 6. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp
                    Terje

Taskmanger for both my scanning servers

taskmanager.jpg

Message was edited by: Terje on 30/05/11 16:20:40 IST
                    • 7. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp
                      Terje

hehe sorry for making multiple replied.. i am so tired and i havent slept for 48 hours now.. so i keep forgetting to write some info about storage scan for netapp

EPO policy for VSE for storage netapp

Maximum scan time (seconds): 40

Number of anti-virus scan threads: 100

Settings on the NetApp device

vscan optionstimeout:          10 sec

vscan options abort_timeout:    60 sec

vscan optionsmandatory_scan    off   (important incase scanning server turns off then no one can write/read on the netapp device)

vscan optionsclient_msgbox     on

info on the netapp settings http://www.wafl.co.uk/vscan/

• 8. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp

Hi Terje, I see that both of your scanning servers are not doing much. Was it business hours you've made screen shots? Having in mind that storage get's accessed by ~3000 users it's amazingly low utilization.

Were you measuring latency, throughput and other indicators before implementing McAfee and after? How they changed if you did.

And have you tired to change these settings and investigate how it affects performance?

---

EPO policy for VSE for storage netapp
                        Number of anti-virus scan threads: 100

Settings on the NetApp device
                        vscan optionstimeout:          10 sec
                        vscan options abort_timeout:    60 sec
                        vscan optionsmandatory_scan    off   (important incase scanning server turns off then no one can write/read on the netapp device)
                        vscan optionsclient_msgbox     on

---

P.S. get some rest, working 48 hours in a row is not so healthy

• 9. Re: VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on NetApp

Hey lfah2000,

Here are some links / settings that may be helpful:

NetApp - Antivirus Scanning Best Practices Guide:
                          http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3107.pdf

VSE for Storage 1.0 Implementation Guide
                          https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22733/en_US/VSE%20for%20Storage%201.0%20Implementation%20Guide.pdf

Sizing Guide for NetApp Filer on Data ONTAP
                          https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 23000/PD23123/en_US/vses_100_sizing_guide_en-us.pdf

Enable advanced logging by editing your registry

(I got this from VSES support You can call them and they will send you a doc on how/why to setup)
                          I would recommend setting these since you want to have the logs BEFORE thing break not after.

The settings below are what I use. Warning -- they generate 2 1GB logfiles (You can set that when you read the doc from support)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\VSES
                          "StatFilePath"="C:\\Program Files\\McAfee\\VirusScan Enterprise for Storage\\stat.txt"
                          "StatWriterTimerInterval"=dword:0000000a
                          "StatsMaxLogSizeMB"=dword:00000400
                          "AppLogLevel"=dword:00000003
                          "AppLogOutputType"=dword:00000001
                          "AppLogMaxFileSizeMB"=dword:00000400
                          "AppLogFileFormat"=dword:00000001
                          "AppLogFileName"="C:\\Program Files\\McAfee\\VirusScan Enterprise for Storage\\app.txt"
                          "AppLogLimitFileSize"=dword:00000001

My filers are set as follows:
                          vscan options timeout:               10 sec <- how often the filer checks with the scanner to see if it's done
                          vscan options abort_timeout:    50 sec <- should be less that the scan time max on your VSES setting to allow the scanner to timeout first
                          vscan options mandatory_scan    off   <- if set to on you risk denying all access to CIFS shares until your scanners are working
                          vscan options client_msgbox     off

Policy for my VSES scanners:
                          Number of anti-virus scan threads: 150

1 2 Previous Next