6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 3:38 AM by catdaddy

Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 on McAfee Security Center

hi,

i´m using Brazilian portuguese version on McAfee Security Center and after a scheduled scan it has found:

detection name: Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 (trojan)

file: C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\<MY USER NAME>\APPLICATION DATA\SUN\JAVA\DEPLOYMENT\CACHE\6.0\16\21535c5050-4db389cc

unfortunately i didn´t find any info about Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 on McAfee Communities.

Can anyone give me removal instructions?

What are Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 characteristics?

Thanks in advance,

Ibs

• 1. Re: Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 on McAfee Security Center
          Hayton

Moved to Security Awareness, Home User Assistance

Edit - Moved again, into Artemis Discussion. There's also a duplicate post for this question; that thread will be locked.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 26/05/11 16:37:55 IST
          • 2. Re: Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 on McAfee Security Center
            Hayton

I can't find any information about this detection, so you may need to send anything that's been quarantined by the scan to McAfee for analysis to make sure that this is not a false detection. See this document for details of what to do.

• 3. Re: Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 on McAfee Security Center
              Nitin Kumar

Hi,

This is malicous file and is getting detected as "PWS-Banker!gxt" with current updates.

This is a Trojan detection. Unlike viruses, Trojans do not self-replicate. They are spread manually, often under the premise thatthey are beneficial or wanted. The most common installation methodsinvolve system or security exploitation, and unsuspecting usersmanually executing unknown programs. Distribution channels includee-mail, malicious or hacked Web pages, Internet Relay Chat (IRC),peer-to-peer networks, etc.

such kind of trojan shows activity such as attempts to write to a memory location of a Windows system process, enumerates many system files and directories, Adds or modifies Internet Explorer cookies.

Please use the following instructions for all supported versions of Windows to remove threats and other potential risks:

1.Disable System Restore (Windows ME/XP only).

2.Update to current engine and DAT files for detection and removal.

3.Run a complete system scan.

Modifications made to the system Registry and/or INI files for the purposes of hooking system startup, will be successfully removed if cleaning withthe recommended engine and DAT combination (or higher).

General repair may be unsuccessful in some instances. If this occurs, please submit a sample for further evaluation.

Regards,

Nitin Kumar

McAfee SME

• 4. Re: Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 on McAfee Security Center
                wildfire

Hello!  I am wildfire and I am also having an Artimus problem.  McAfee did not detect it but Stinger did. I will copy the name of the file.  It is :

C:\Program Files (x86)\BellSouth Application Management\bin\McciControlInstaller_DDR.exe\2.nsis

Stinger found Artimus!DCB15374E733 trojan.  This file cannot be repaired.

How do I get rid of this without losing internet  access altogether?  I am operating in safe mode now, and the screen resolution is not  very  good.  I hope I have recounted the exact  listing of Stinger's findings.

My McAfee is up to date as are my Windows updates.  I am running Windows Vista Premium 64-bit.  I hope I have told  you enough information so that you can help me.  Please reply!!!!

Thank You,

Janet  Woods

wildfire  

• 5. Re: Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 on McAfee Security Center

Hello Janet,

Thanks for your report. I have checked the file in question and it is not malicious. It has been further analyzed and added to our database as a clean file. Please confirm what is the Stinger version you are using. You can do this by clicking on the "About" menu. We recommend you to download the lastest version, available at http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx , and perform a new scan.

Best Regards,

Patty Ammirabile

• 6. Re: Artemis!8C912BBF2B17 on McAfee Security Center
                    catdaddy

Marking this thread as 'Correctly Answered' as McAfee Labs has deemed it not to be malicious. Also Locking as it is over (4) years old.

Cliff