5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 8:19 AM by spc3rd

what is mcci + mcci Browser?

I notice when I set my mcafee firewall back to default this mcci+mcci browser was being given full access in program permissions. Haven't a clue what it is.

• 1. Re: what is mcci + mcci Browser?
          spc3rd

Good morning hopeless1!

I've pasted a link below to an article on the Major Geeks website which you might like to read.  Two questions for you:  is there any IP address being shown (e.g. 64.186.176.101)?  Is Verizon or Cox Communications your Internet Service Provider(ISP)?

http://http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147518

When entering "mcci browser" (without the quotation marks) as the search parameter in my browser, it returns numerous articles on this.  Perhaps our distinguished moderators and other members here will have additional (or better) info for you.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 5/24/11 8:20:56 AM ADT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 5/24/11 8:30:49 AM ADT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 5/24/11 8:34:06 AM ADT
          • 2. Re: what is mcci + mcci Browser?
            Peter M

I know no more than Pete C I'm afraid, only what I can glean from a Google Search.

It appears to be associated with your ISP as far as I can see.

• 3. Re: what is mcci + mcci Browser?
              spc3rd

Hello again hopeless1,

In my first reply to your posting, one question I asked was if you were seeing an IP address.  If you ARE seeing an IP address AND if falls within the particular net range shown here64.186.176.0 - 64.186.191.255, these IP addresses are assigned to a business entity named, Motive Communications, Incorporated, based in Texas.

This info comes from the ARIN WHOIS Database.  * It is also noted in the ARIN WHOIS Database records for this business, that ARIN has attempted to verify the point-of-contact information for the business, but has NOT received any correspondence from the business since 2010.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 5/24/11 9:04:02 AM ADT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 5/24/11 9:19:42 AM ADT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 5/24/11 9:23:17 AM ADT
              • 4. Re: what is mcci + mcci Browser?

where would I find these: 64.186.176.0 - 64.186.191.255?  I only found the mcci+McciBrowser when I was looking at the programs McAfee Firewall was allowing full access to.

I didn't look anywhere else.  I'm a novice and  have been allowing McAfee to make the decisions, because when I had it set up to ask me, I never knew what to do.

edit to add  Yes, I am a Verizon Fios customer

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 5/24/11 8:09:26 AM GMT-05:00

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 5/24/11 8:10:15 AM GMT-05:00
                • 5. Re: what is mcci + mcci Browser?
                  spc3rd

Since you said Verizon is your ISP, I would first suggest you contact their technical support department , describe this issue, and inquire if the "mcci & mcci browser" are part of THEIR service.  From the additional research I've been doing, there are numerous references which indicate this "mcci & mcci browser" are stated to be part of Verizon's Internet Service.

Please check with Verizon and then post back here as to what you learned.  If it is not part of their internet service, then we'll look at other options.