1 2 3 Previous Next 444 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 10:38 AM by dougr_t3_support Branched to a new discussion.

File property issues cause by mcafee?

Hi,

I have been effected by the issue outlined on these microsoft forums:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/when-i-rotate-m y-pictures-through-windows-photo/9c6fd469-8144-e011-9767-d8d385dcbb12

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/when-ever-i-edi t-a-files-properties-such-as-on-a/71774527-6c80-e011-9b4b-68b599b31bf5?page=1&tm =1305828561470#footer

In summary, if I change the album title on a music file, when I save the file then becomes hidden .. if I simply change the orientation of a picture (turn it 90 degrees)  it automatically hides the picture.

On the second link above a user narrows the issue down to mcafee software.

Do mcafee already know about this? Is it caused by your software?

I am on Windows 7 64 bit and I have Mcafee Total Protection, latest version.

Any comments welcome as a resolution would be good as this problem is anoying.

Fix available here posted by Peacekeeper Volunteer Mod here

Being released as per New Schedule

August 30 - Australia, Korea

September 6 - Canada French and English, Great Britain

September 13 - United States, Japan, all other languages

NOTE THE FIX DOES NOT UNHIDE WHAT IS HIDDEN YOU CAN TRY THE FOLLOWING

We have an updated tool to recover the hidden files. Instead of unhiding all the files, it only unhides certain file types such as:

.jpg;.jpeg;.gif;.bmp;.raw;.png;.tiff;.tif;.mp3;mp4;m4a;.lnk

I recommend using this tool instead of the McAttrib-H.cmd file.

McAfee Hidden File Recovery Tool Instructions

1. Download http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcattribrestor e.exe and save the tool somewhere like the desktop or your downloads folder.
      2. Run the tool by double-clicking on McAttribRestore.exe
      3. Click Search and wait for a message box to appear. It should list the # of hidden files found and also the # fixed.
      4. Once the message displays, click OK. Then close the window or click Cancel. Your files are restored.

Notes:

• Depending on the number of drives you have and the amount of files, it could take severalt minutes to run.
        • On my system with 280,000 files it took 53 seconds.
      • This tool is designed to fix the problem on Windows 7.
        • If you don't have the .NET framework it wont run.
        • Vista and Windows7 come with the framework.
      • If your browser runs the application instead of downloads it, try right clicking the link and pick Save As. There is also a zipped version at http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcattribrestor e.zip. Save and unzip, then proceed with the instructions above at Step 2.

Regards, Doug

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/08/11 9:31:53 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/09/11 4:57:08 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/09/11 7:20:00 AM
        • 1. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?
          Peter M

The second article only mentions McAfee and 'McAfee 2009 in compatability mode' something I've never encountered and certainly a wrong concept.  The 2009 product is obsolete anyway.

I would need proof from that person that McAfee told them that and when, especially with such an old product.   There are no fixes forthcoming for the 2009 McAfee products as they being retired with the release of 2011 products being done as we speak.

However I suggest that you open a new case with McAfee online chat available free through Useful Links at the top of this page.  It's the first I've even heard of this in all the years I've volunteered here, but one never knows, it could be a known issue, but not one I've seen on these forums.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) - Installation Tips

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/05/11 7:11:22 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?

I think the guys point was when mcaffee updated to the latest version he had the problems, so I think the compatibility mode is a possibly a red herring.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?
              Peter M

I still recommend opening a new case with Tech. Support as I've never heard of this issue before.   Also, at some stage, I recommend installing SP1 as in that link.

Sorry I wish I had some ideas.

• 4. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?

I have the same issue as thegilpins describes, I found the issue when I changed the orientation of photo.  I thought that the file was deleted and searched for it till I found it hidden in the folder.  The only solution I found to stop the issue from happening was to temporarily disable the real-time scanning from McAfee.  The last time I change the orientation of a photo without issue was last Mother's Day.  So I know for sure it has to be one of the updates McAfee released is the cause of the problem.  I hope McAfee releases an update to fix this issue soon.

Windows 7 SP1 x64

McAfee Antivirus Plus with SecurityCenter 11.0.555, VirusScan 15.0.288 DAT version 6356, and Personal Firewall 12.0.335

• 5. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?
                  Peacekeeper

I also confirmed this on the beta version of Mcafee as well so something strange that need sto be passed up the line to the developers. Passed onto a couple of the higher level techs so they can discuss this

This for me is in windows photo viewer

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/05/11 7:27:48 PM
                  • 6. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?
                    Peter M

Thanks Tony for chipping in as I have not experienced any of the above.

• 7. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?

I have had this same issue.  I am running the most current version of McAfee Internet Security.  If I make any type of edit to a picture (crop, rotate, retouch, etc.), the picture becomes hidden after saving.  I'm using Windows Live Photo Gallery.  If I turn off McAfee Real-Time Scanning, this issue does not happen.  The most recent update to Security Center was on 5/9/11 and that is when the issue started (I edited a ton of pictures on 5/8/11 without this issue). 

This does not happen if I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 - only the windows based photo program.

Has this issue been sent to the appropriate people to get corrected?

• 8. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?
                        Peter M

Yes, they are investigating.

• 9. Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?
                          Hayton

I tested this using Windows Live Photo Gallery and it didn't happen to the picture I was testing - rotated the picture, exited from the app; the saved picture's entry is visible in the folder, not hidden. So this is not a universal problem - it may relate to particular program versions.

Relevant McAfee version info is below.

About Box - versions.JPG

1 2 3 Previous Next