5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 3:57 PM by Peacekeeper

McAfee: Scan Summary

I hope I posted in correct place

Hi, I have few question to ask. I had format my computer because I want to clean up everything. I'm using McAfee Total Protection and I scanned my computer after format and found some tracking cookies, they are deleted. But I wonder that why even I've formatted my computer, under Scan Summary after scanning, the Cookies, Processes, Registry items, and Boot records are still many. I'm a student without computer experience so I want to ask that:

1. Does format clean up everything, and I meant that everything into brand new?

2. What are those Cookies, Processes, Registry items, and Boot records mean and what'd they do? Is that good or bad to let them be there?

3. From question 2, if they're bad data or whatever, what should I do to them, how do I get them out?

For question 1 if it isn't related to this forum, I'm sorry :O

• 1. Re: McAfee: Scan Summary
          Peacekeeper

I assume you went on the net after format to download drivers update windows those cookies will turn up and be detected and deleted if need be.

Format starts clean

Can you post the Scan summary  please I feel all fine format good starting point

• 2. Re: McAfee: Scan Summary
            Peter M
            1. Does format clean up everything, and I meant that everything into brand new?

Yes, although they say a quick format still leaves some 0's and 1's on the disk - but nothing readable by a regular computer.

2. What are those Cookies, Processes, Registry items, and Boot records mean and what'd they do? Is that good or bad to let them be there?

Probably from the installation of Windows when it calls home to check for updates, activate etc.   Nothing to worry about.  Best leave them there, Windows will eventually clean the trash out.

3. From question 2, if they're bad data or whatever, what should I do to them, how do I get them out?

Tracking cookies aren't necessarily bad and many people like to keep them.  To get rid of them open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click Quarantined and Trusted Items

Expand those drawers by clicking on them. 

Select all to highlight all and then click Delete.

It can take a while if there are many.

You can tell it to stop detecting Tracking Cookies by going to the SecurityCenter main page

Click Virus and Spyware Protection to expand

Click Real Time Scanning then Settings

Uncheck that item and click Apply

Tracking cookies are how websites remember you and your details.   They can be exploited but if you are careful they are nothing to worry about.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/05/11 9:00:54 EDT AM
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: McAfee: Scan Summary

Hi Peacekeeper,

This is my Scan Summary, if you have any suggestion please tell me. Thank you for assuming.

And thank you Ex_Brit for answer all my question

ScanSummary.png

Message was edited by: pizzapat on 5/17/11 3:11:46 PM CDT
              • 4. Re: McAfee: Scan Summary
                Peter M

Looks OK, and you are welcome.  ;-)

• 5. Re: McAfee: Scan Summary
                  Peacekeeper

The scan summary just lists what was scanned all normal there.