On May 12 I got hit by a nasty virus. McAfee was running and up to date. It was some type of the fake alert trojan. The firewall stopped it from downloading something from the net but it took over security center and would open the fake virus program. It deactivated windows update and turned off real time scanning from security center. When you manually restarted it would switch off in seconds. McAfee update was also deactivated. I manually deleted the xkf.exe file it was trying to execute and ran Superantispyware. It found several files and broken links. I restarted in safemode and tried to run malwarebytes, It would open the fake alert window. I then renamed the malwarebytes exe and started it. It found a fake alert trojan in application data under the documents and setting folder. After I removed it I restarted windows and found that the windows update link was broken along with the McAfee update.
I restored the system to an earlier point and it fixed the windows update but McAfee was still broken. I deleted McAfee and tried to reinstall it. After waiting over an hour for it to down load it failed. I tried again and it failed. I live in a rural area and have to use a satellite link and it used up my daily bandwidth. I stayed up all night to use the free time and again it failed. This time it would get half way through the down load and I would get a message that it failed and try again. Virtual technician would not function and I could not down load it. I used the removal tool to remove the program and ran the pre-install program and still it would not down load.
I downloaded MS Security essential and it found Java/CVE-2010-0840BJ and removed it.
I'm a little frustrated that McAfee failed to detect this bug and even more frustrated on the time I spent trying to reinstall McAfee. Why is the program so bloated that it takes hours and hundreds of megs of bandwidth to down load. I even tried to download just the antivirus portion and that was still huge and it also failed halfway. Giving me a message that it encountered a problem and had to shut down.
It left half of the McAfee files on the system but nothing that functions.
Anybody have a clue on what I'm doing wrong.
The computer is a Dell Dimension 8400, 3g ram, Windows XP sp3 home edition, wired router with Hughes net satelite.