1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2011 3:53 AM by hem

AutoUpdate in VSE 8.7i

Hey Folks,

For a project I'm working on, I'm using my corporate version of VSE 8.7i on Windows 7 Professional 32 bit for a non-corporate but approved extranet project. Everything works normally except AutoUpdate. My company's VSE 8.7i client is only available with hardcoded settings for AutoUpdate, which I can't edit. Luckily I'm happy with the hardcoded settings - but the AutoUpate isn't working.

When I click Update Now, it works fine and pulls the latest DAT definitions from the Mcafee public download site.

My questions:

1. I installed the VSE 8.7i client using a specific userid with Administrative rights when logged in remotely via Remote Desktop Protocol. Does this have any bearing on the Auto Update functionality?

2. SHOULD Auto Update work when there isn't ANYONE logged in to the machine? Should it work if someone is logged in but their userid is DIFFERENT than the userid which installed the 8.7i client?

3. How can I debug this?

Obviously I'm looking for some education, at this point I'm still trying to define the problem after which I'll ask about solutions.

Thanks!

Jim

• 1. Re: AutoUpdate in VSE 8.7i
          hem

Below are the answers.

1. I installed the VSE 8.7i client using a specific userid with Administrative rights when logged in remotely via Remote Desktop Protocol. Does this have any bearing on the Auto Update functionality?

No, it will not loose the Auto Update functionality.

2. SHOULD Auto Update work when there isn't ANYONE logged in to the machine? Should it work if someone is logged in but their userid is DIFFERENT than the userid which installed the 8.7i client?

Yes, by default, it will work with System account.

3. How can I debug this?

You need to look into Agent, Update, Mcscript, NaPrdMgr.log.