1 2 3 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2012 5:09 AM by afftechy Branched to a new discussion. RSS

NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"

rmmiles

We are running 5.2.8 and consistently getting, "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found" on the new Dell Latitude E6420 model. Both with SATA operations set to SATA and AHCI.

I thought this issue may have been addressed in 5.2.9 (which was recently released), per the release notes:

"5290.11          No Boot disk was found on reboot—The issue only occurs on some disk drives and when the controller is in a particular mode. We now perform a call to reset the disk which resolves this issue."

So I upgraded a test VM server, which was running 5.2.8 to 5.2.9, created and deployed the new 5.2.9 client files to a E6420 freshly imaged, and got the same results, "No boot disk was found" after the initial encryption.

Has anyone else run across this? Any other suggestions? This is the latest in Dell's business laptop line, so I would expect this system is within realm of supported systems..?

Thanks,

Message was edited by: rmmiles on 5/13/11 10:36:28 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
          SafeBoot

everything is supported, but the newer it is, the more broken it's likely to be as we won't have had time to work around any hardware bugs. 

Some simple tests though

1. is the disk basic, or dynamic? (disk manager)

2. are you using a Seagate Momentus drive? (known incompatibilities between that and the Dell BIOS, for which you'll need a Dell fix)

3. When you tried 5.2.9, you used AHCI mode, not RAID mode yes?

Otherwise, lots of people are using the E6420 and EEPC quite happily, so it might be something particular to the image you are putting down?

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 5/14/11 9:02:54 AM EDT
          • 2. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
            rmmiles

Hi Simon, Thanks for the reply:

A1. it is basic, not dynamic

A2. It very well could be a Seagate Momentus, I will check frst thing Monday morning. Do you know who I need to contact for the fix (Dell or McAfee)?

A3. When we tried AHCI, RAID was disabled

A4. I forgot to mention, I tried a base install of Windows (7), from the install DVD, so it can't be something in our image.

• 3. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
              SafeBoot

curious - I would log a case. We are seeing this problem on Dell 64's with RAID turned On (the default shipping from the factory) because the RAID code in the bios is so big it pushes out the pre-boot, and also with the Momentus drives because they don't support the most standard memory access mode (that every other machine ever made supports), but, no problems in RAID off AHCI mode.

You are on the A02 BIOS yes?

• 4. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
                rmmiles

Update:

A2. The hard drive is actually a 250GB 7200RPM SATA, Toshiba MK2561GSY

Yep, the system is running the latest BIOS from Dell (as of today), A02.

I've opened a "Service Request" via the McAfee Service Portal as well.

Thanks,

Message was edited by: rmmiles on 5/16/11 8:59:59 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
                  Doxpara

Hi!

I run into the same problems with an Dell Latitude E6520 yesterday/today.

Upgrading it to BIOS A03 and using 5.2.9 with AHCI worked until now, at least, it is encrypting and doesn't crash shortly after the PBA.

Cheers!

on 18.05.11 10:13:35 CDT
                  • 6. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
                    rmmiles

I need to make a correction, these systems do work when in AHCI mode, but not ATA (even with the A03 BIOS). I was working on information that was given to me by a colleague and just had a chance to test for myself. I apologize if I caused any confusion. It is odd that these systems will not work with SATA set to ATA. That used to be the old "fail-safe" SATA setting for us (works with old boot disk that don't have AHCI support, etc). Anyways, these models seem to work just fine when configured for AHCI (with 5.2.8 and 5.2.9). This also seems to be the case with the LatitudeE6520 and the OptiPlex 990's, basically any of the recent Dell business line systems.

Thanks for the replies,

Message was edited by: rmmiles on 5/19/11 2:49:26 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
                      nat.kcohil

Latitude E6420, BIOS A02, ATA,  WinXP sp3, SB 5.2.5

I'm seeing all of the above errors too.

After, installing safeboot the safeboot logon screen will hang up with the progress bar stuck at 1/3

Changing the SATA mode to AHCI will display SB logon normally, and allow me to logon (but since OS was installed in ATA, it BSOD) . Had to do ATA, because could not get stable install in AHCI for XP

Strangely, after setting to AHCI and setting back to ATA, safeboot logon will sometime work, but will result in no boot disk found after logon

doing a Safetech CD emergency boot alway works, but will result in above errors after a reboot

Message was edited by: nat.kcohil on 5/20/11 9:53:59 AM CDT
                      • 8. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
                        SafeBoot

If you have a Seagate Momentus drive, you need Dell BIOS A03 before it will work properly.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/189575#189575

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 5/20/11 11:02:46 AM EDT
                        • 9. Re: NEW Dell Latitude E6420 -  "Error: 0xe002001b" "No boot disk was found"
                          nat.kcohil

I stated my Laptop model incorrectly, it is E6320 with a WD HDD.

i have a reply for my ticket to SB and that I will need to install my OS in AHCI and upgrade my SB ver

If so this is not going to work as the RAID BIOS code does not leave enough space for EEPC 5.2.5. We have to turn this off and upgrade to 5.2.9.

Right now the only workaround we've seen work is to use AHCI, EEPC 5.2.6 or later, and latest BIOS version A02. In this case, you'll need to remove EEPC, verify BIOS version is A02, then include the AHCI drivers in the image and reinstall EEPC 5.2.6 or later.

This issue should be addressed in 5.10 and hopefully in 6.1.1 which is set to release by the end of the 2nd quarter

1 2 3 Previous Next