8 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 7:39 PM by newjack

Used Malwarebytes to rid my pc of XP Home Security malware - help!

I used Malwarebytes to get rid of that nasty XP Home Security malware....I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode, cleaned out the infections and rebooted...now i can't run any programs on my computer...please help me figure out how to fix my mistake!  Thanks.  Tygrrlily60

• 1. Re: Used Malwarebytes to rid my pc of XP Home Security malware - help!
          Hayton

Malwarebytes advise that their program should be run in Normal Mode (in Windows) rather than in Safe Mode. I guess if you're in Safe Mode it can't detect some of the malware, so after a reboot some of it tries to come back. Can you get to Windows and run Malwarebytes again?

Apart from Malwarebytes, you could try downloading and running McAfee's Stinger Tool - instructions and advice are here. There are two versions that might help : one is for fake AV's, the other is a more general version.

If you're truly stuck, a System Restore might be your best option. Do you know how to do a Restore? If no, I think it's different in Win7 and Vista from XP (and I have XP) so I'll need to know what your OS is first.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Used Malwarebytes to rid my pc of XP Home Security malware - help!

Thanks Hayton...I'm not at home now to try your suggestion but I will later today....I ran the program in safe mode because I couldn't get it to run in normal mode...but I'll give it a try.

I tried to get to system restore but again it wouldn't open...this is an older pc with XP on it.  Clicking on any programs or files on the computer leads to an error message of one type or another.

Again, thanks for your suggestion.

tygrrlily60

• 3. Re: Used Malwarebytes to rid my pc of XP Home Security malware - help!
              Hayton

Okay, try suggestions 1 and 2, and if possible take a screenshot (else make a note of the error messages) - they may be significant. The other possibility is that Malwarebytes has been over-enthusiastic and deleted something crucial. If MB has only quarantined the files then, if you can get the program running, review what's in quarantine and if you see any DLL's,  or .exe/.sys files, Google them or post & ask.

• 5. Re: Used Malwarebytes to rid my pc of XP Home Security malware - help!

I certainly do! I did the exact same thing as 'tygrrlly'.  Once I finished the scan and rebooted, I'm unable to use any program, just get the 'open with' box asking me to choose the program I want to use to open the file.  Same thing happens for all files and programs.  I'm so disgusted, I usually use my mac and hadn't been on my pc for quite some time so hadn't updated, visited a news site via google search this morning and wham, the antivirus 2011 rogue installed itself on my pc.   I've spent hours searching for some kind of answers but all included downloading malwarebytes (which i have on the pc but of course can't use) and I was unable to download anything.  Finally logged in as admin on the pc, ran malwarebytes, then rebooted and now what a mess....any help is so appreciated!!!

• 6. Re: Used Malwarebytes to rid my pc of XP Home Security malware - help!

Vickicj...I fixed the issue last night so maybe you should try this too...I tried running Malwarebytes in normal mode as was suggested in a previous post but it wouldn't run.  I rebooted into Safe mode and first checked Malwarebytes quarantine to see if it overzealously deleted exe files that it shouldn't have - that wasn't the case either.  While in safe mode I went to Accessories and then system tools and opened system restore (which I couldnt do previously in normal mode)...I was able to restore my system to a date last week before the infection appeared.  I rebooted and all is running again as it should.   Hopefully my kids have learned a lesson about opening files they shouldn't!!!

• 7. Re: Used Malwarebytes to rid my pc of XP Home Security malware - help!

tygrrlily you are my hero!!! Just completed the steps you suggested and voila! All is back to normal, whew!! What a pain!! I would love to torture the folks who come up with these viruses....grrrrr......thanks so much for your help!!!

• 8. Re: Used Malwarebytes to rid my pc of XP Home Security malware - help!

I believe you also want to make sure you deleted all your old restore points,when your done cleaning.I believe this is the last move?If I am wrong correct me.