3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 6:58 AM by Peter M

Microsoft Security Essentails Alert Malware not found by VSE 8.8

Daniel_S

Hi all together.

Just had a Laptop with the MSE Alert Malware.

Why is it, that VSE with all latest updates is not able to find and delete this malware?

All you read in the forums is to get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and get the job done by it.

Well it worked, but why didn´t McAfee find this Malware????

• 1. Re: Microsoft Security Essentails Alert Malware not found by VSE 8.8
          Peter M

It is quite commmon for different software to detect different malware, however your statement indicates that you may be running 2 antivirus applications together and that is asking for trouble as they will inevitably clash, thereby compromising the security of your system.

If McAfee misses something then submit it:  http://www.mcafee.com/us/mcafee-labs/resources/how-to-submit-sample.aspx

It is OK however to run an anti-malware application alongside your antivirus, such as Malwarebytes (free version only recommended in this instance).

Malwarebytes works differently from an antivirus.   I quote from another thread where I posted this:

Malwarebytes isn't an antivirus application but rather an anti-malware application and as such, is a a great additional tool to have as well as virus protection.   No antivirus application of any brand is guaranteed to stop 100% of what's out there.

McAfee stops millions of infections that Malwarebytes doesn't, and vice-versa.

A quote from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
          As far as why MBAM is very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple. MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
          Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future. MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/05/11 6:30:24 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Microsoft Security Essentails Alert Malware not found by VSE 8.8
            Daniel_S

I´m not running two programs. We´re just using McAfee, but as VSE wasn´t able to find, remove or what ever the malware, i installed Malwarebytes.

in VSE 8.7 there was a Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus part in the program, and as i was told this is now one package.

so i thought VSE 8.8 would also protect our network from malware.

• 3. Re: Microsoft Security Essentails Alert Malware not found by VSE 8.8
              Peter M

As I said, it's quite normal for one application to detect something another one misses.  Nothing is 100% guaranteed in this world.  I also posted how to submit a sample to get it into the database.

Sorry for the 2 antivirus lecture, I misread your statement.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/05/11 7:58:35 EDT AM