1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 10:55 AM by SafeBoot

Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

Looking for any info or help/support anyone may have, thanks in advance.

We attempted an install of EEPC 5.2.5 with autodomain.exe on WIndows 7 with a non-admin user and before the reboot the autodomain log file looked fairly/mostly normal to me.  Both locally and in the console, the machine got created, I saw the user's existing EEPC account get added, and it did not remove autoboot user before the first post-install reboot, all normal behaviour and in-line with past test results.

However after rebooting, an error message was displayed:

w7_ad_postreboot_error.JPG

After that error appears, the drive begins encryption, but the final user changes of removing the autoboot user do not occur, so the Endpoint Encryption login does not appear when the laptop is booted up and/or rebooted.  One other local oddity I noticed on this machine is that when we open the system tray icon for EEPC, there is no text displayed in the status window, it is not displaying the contents of the sbclientlog.txt, but if I copy/paste that file and open it it does contain the information that I would expcet to see in it and also expect to see in the status window.

Do we need to have the end-user with local administrator rights to successfully deploy EEPC with full autodomain functionality?

Has anyone seen the above and may be aware of a fix or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

what version of AutoDomain are you using? Only later versions (5.5+) support W7/64bit.

• 2. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

We are using AD 5.5.  The only real difference we know for sure so far in comparison to all past testing between EEPC 5.2.5, AD 5.5 and WIndows 7 64-bit is the change to what local admin access the logged in user has.

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

need to know EXACTLY what version you have - what version is it reporting in the autodomain log?

• 4. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

In the autodomain_log.txt file I have these two lines with version information:

I tested the Endpoint Encryption API, it's working and the version is good (5.2.5.8)

START! Version 5.6

Is that what you need?  Thanks a lot.

• 5. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

hum. I don't have that version with me - what's the code doing on that line?

• 6. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

Here is the sub-routine that is running:

Function LastV5SyncResult

' Returns the result code from the last v5 sync.

' Returns:

'    0xe0020018 - driver not present

'    sbadmcl_success - all good

'     DELAY - sync is currently delayed...

Dim iLastSyncStart

Dim fso: Set FSO = CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject")

LastV5SyncResult = "0x5c000000"

If Not fso.FileExists(SBAdmCL.ClientPath & "sbclientlog.txt") Then

writedebug 1,"LastV5SyncResult - sbclientlog.txt does not exist"

LastV5SyncResult = "0xe0020018"   ' driver not present

Exit Function       

End If

On Error Resume Next

myfile = FSO.OpenTextFile(SBAdmCL.ClientPath & "sbclientlog.txt",1,False,-1).ReadAll

myfile = vbNewLine & myfile

On Error GoTo 0

writeDebug 1,"    Read client log - " & Len(myfile) & " chars."

iLastSyncStart = InStrRev(myfile,"Starting synchronization",-1,vbTextCompare)

If InStrRev(myfile,"--------",-1,vbtextcompare) > iLastSyncStart Then

' client manager has just started.

iLastSyncStart = InStrRev(myfile,"--------",-1,vbtextcompare)

End If

If iLastSyncStart = 0 Then

writedebug 1,"    No sync start message!"

'assume the whole log is valid.

iLastSyncStart = 1

End If

writeDebug 1,"    Found Last Sync Start at char: " & iLastSyncStart

If InStr(iLastSyncStart,myfile,"[5c00000e]",vbTextCompare)>0 Then

' error in last sync

writeDebug 1,"    Error in 0x5c00000e in last sync connection"

LastV5SyncResult = "0x5c00000e"

ElseIf InStr(iLastSyncStart,myfile,"Error connecting to database",vbTextCompare)>0 Then

writeDebug 1,"    Unspecified Error in last sync connection"

LastV5SyncResult = "0x5c000000"

ElseIf InStr(iLastSyncStart,myfile,"Delaying initial sync for",vbTextCompare)>0 And InStr(iLastSyncStart,myfile,"Synchronization complete",vbTextCompare)=0 Then

writeDebug 1,"    Sync currently in delay mode"

LastV5SyncResult = "DELAY"

Else

writeDebug 1,"    No Error in Last Sync"

LastV5SyncResult = SBADMCL_SUCCESS

End If

End Function

The specific line that we get the error from is:

I am wondering based on what that line is trying to do and failing to do, and in combination with no text displaying from the client log file in the system tray status window, maybe the lack of user permissions are preventing the installer/installed executable from accessing the sbclientlog.txt?

• 7. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

maybe - drop the on error goto 0 to below that line, should catch the error? You are right - it probably means the user does not have read access to that folder.

• 8. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

Sorry I don't think I am 100% following you.  Do you mean to move the line in the VBS code so that it looks like this?

On Error Resume Next

myfile = FSO.OpenTextFile(SBAdmCL.ClientPath & "sbclientlog.txt",1,False,-1).ReadAll

myfile = vbNewLine & myfile

On Error GoTo 0

iLastSyncStart = InStrRev(myfile,"Starting synchronization",-1,vbTextCompare)

If that is not what you mean, can you give me any more details or ideas as to how to fix this?

Also should we require full local administrator rights to be able to install EEPC with the autodomain files and fucntionality?

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Autodomain.VBS error installing EEPC 5.2.5 from ePO 4.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

exactly.

Yes, you need full admin rights to install EEPC - it has to be installed by localservice, or an admin, as it has to install drivers etc. It should not need full admin rights to run though - plenty of people are using it fine under normal user rights.

1 2 Previous Next