3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2011 9:47 AM by Peter M

McAfee scan shows a Trojan, yet Malwarebytes does not. Why?

spc3rd

Good morning all,

In reviewing the full scan done by McAfee at 4 a.m. this morning, it indicates the presence of a trojan (unidentified).  However, after this, I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes which did NOT reveal ANY trojan or other malware present.

I went through every single log in McAfee and could not locate anything which would identify the name of the supposed Trojan it listed in its security report. 

My questionHow is it McAfee's full scan reveals a trojan, yet a Malwarebytes full scan finds nothing?

I have attached a screenprint of the McAfee scan report to this posting for reference.

Thanks very much as usual for any enlightenment!

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 5/11/11 11:07:56 AM ADT
        • 1. Re: McAfee scan shows a Trojan, yet Malwarebytes does not. Why?
          Peter M

If McAfee detects something as malware it encrypts it and quarantines it so it would be most likely undetectable by anything else.   It's also quite common for one anti-malware application to miss something that another one detects, so it could be that too.

Have you looked under 'Quarantined and Trusted items' in SecurityCenter > Navigation ?   There are 3 sections there and it should show up in one of those 'drawers' with more details than those showing in the summary you are looking at.

If you feel it's a mistake, which is always possible, read here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/05/11 10:12:14 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: McAfee scan shows a Trojan, yet Malwarebytes does not. Why?
            spc3rd

Hi again Peter,

I did as you suggested and checked the "Quarantined and Trusted items" area (all 3 of them).  The "Quarantined items" section did not show anything at all except some circular icon which kept going around and around for over 10 minutes, as if searching, but never displayed anything at all.

When I checked the next section entitled, "Quarantined - Potentially Unwanted Programs"...the exact same thing occurred as mentioned above - - nothing at all was displayed except that continually rotating icon.

The last section of the 3 showed absolutely nothing...not even that rotating icon as previously noted.

I'll go and read what's on that link you posted in your message above next.

Thanks very much again for all your time and help!

• 3. Re: McAfee scan shows a Trojan, yet Malwarebytes does not. Why?
              Peter M

That circular rotating thing shows that there are many files in there and you have to wait for them to load, it takes a while sometimes.