1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 11:29 AM by gita

TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

Hello,

Our company uses Mcaffee TPS (now SaaS), we have <50 licenses. Recently I was re-installing antivirus on one of machines and noticed the new version which got installed is 5.2.1 while all our other clients sit on version 5.0.0 patch 6

How can I force SaaS client to self update to latest program version? they do pull definition updates with no problems, but they do not seem to update the program on their own.

Manually selecting Update Now, updates definitions also, but program version stays same (old).

any help please?

thanks.

Message was edited by: cd10036 on 5/9/11 10:57:41 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

Hi there,

I would suggest you to overwrite the installation with the help of URL link or please contact the Gold Business support team to proceed further.

Contact Details:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact/index.html

Regards,

JP

• 2. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

Hi,

The McAfee SaaS product updates happen automatically and are triggered as part of  a Phased roll out and you would have all your existing computers upgrade to the new version. Nothing to worry here .

Cheers :-)

Sameer

• 3. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

Hi Sameer,

Thing is that I have currently 32 clients sitting on older scanner engine and they don't seem to be rolling any updates. I believe it's been like that for some time (months?). THe only desktop 5.2.1 client I have is the one I was recently re-installing. it's just weird to me.

I contacted SonicWALL, as they are the company supplying us with their proprietary router software and licensing (they cooperate with McAffee on AV solution), will see how it goes.

Thanks for replies!

• 4. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself
                Pritish

Hi,

I have read your post.

Please follow the steps mentioned in the above post and try to over-write the software. This should resolve the issue that you are facing.

Regards

Pritish P.

• 5. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

Hi,

I am not going to run between over 30 computers and interrupt all users' daily duties by logging them off and re-installing McAffee (it takes time, installer is slow). We are a busy company.

You have to understand that our company operates in windows Domain Controlled environment where almost all users use limited permission accounts with no administrative priviledges.

Do you have any kind of fix that I can roll out silently and remotely, either manually (e.g. command line installer that I can use over telnet) or in an automated fashion like the Push utility?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

Hi,

You can definitely use the Push Install utility to deploy the software from your server/Administrative computer to the clients in the network.

Please read the Installation guide for a better grip on things before you proceed.

Cheers

Sameer

• 7. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

Hi Sameer,

Unfortuntely PUSH utility is no longer available for us, as I upgraded our network to IE8 (download button is grayed out).

Then tried Firefox4 and it worked, however it crippled the installation (client was nor unning the service correctly neither reporting).

Now I am trying to run the silent installer VSSETUP over telnet with an option to reinstall...

• 8. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

OK, VSSETUP over telnet worked partially on 2 test stations ...

I tried using this command line:

vssetup /ck=companykey /reinstall

and vssetup logs said the reinstall switch is not supported??

so I tried overwriting with new installation with this command:

vssetup /ck=companykey /email=abc

and it worked somewhat but not at first on one station (XP SP3).

After restart the McAffee is installed and showing its shield in taskbar like usual (no errors or warning), but the antivirus does not work, neither is detected by Router AV Enforcement policy. However after leaving it alone for 5 minutes it started working correctly on its own.

On the other test station (also XP SP3) it seems to work correctly instantly.

however successfull compeltion of VSSETUP did one unexpected thing, it restarted the machine right after installation was complete, not allowing user to save anything ...

good thing is that after that the McAffee is updated to 5.2.1 and working correctly after giving it some time.

bad thing is that I need a vssetup.exe switch to supress the restart after installation, is there any?

this is what I found in VSSETUP logs on both machines:

Return status of InstallEpilog Function is : 1

Either bReboot Or PersistReboot flag is set. Attempting to reboot..

Launched as user process. StartTimedReboot()..

I am also trying to figure out why would the REINSTALL switch not work (it preserves former company key and email identifier along with other settings) and the only thing that comes to me is that our company key must have changed, that's why only manual overwrtite installation is possible and not the automatic updates/reinstallations.

correct me if wrong.

Message was edited by: cd10036 on 5/13/11 10:20:08 AM CDT
                        • 9. Re: TPS/SaaS 5.0.0 patch 6 updating definitions but not itself

Hello,

Please let me know the account information (Grant number/registered email address) to investigate on the update issue.

I believe computer will not restart automatically when you are installing McAfee using silent installation method.

Please refer the below knowledge base article to get additional information to install McAfee on client computers.

Login to https://kc.mcafee.com and search for KB50700 and KB51902

Regards

JP

Message was edited by: JJAYARA on 5/14/11 10:05:16 AM CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next