1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2011 6:08 AM by Peter M

Fake e-mails from my wife's account

My wife's yahoo account is sending out e-mails without using her laptop.  Just to be sure she has turned off the laptop so it cannot be a virus on her laptop.  She tried changing her password, but that does not seem to have made any difference.  Anyone have any idea how to stop it other?  This is very annoying to her since it is using addresses from her contact list, which obviously it got from her laptop.  She also has the yahoo e-mail linked up with her Blackberry phone.  The laptop is protected by McAfee Total Protection.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Fake e-mails from my wife's account
          Peter M

If it's happening when the laptop is off then it isn't originating there.  Check the Blackberry or the Yahoo account.

This often happens and although it appears that your (or your wife) is to blame it could be the result of an old bug that has floating around for years that infects machines and spoofs the senders email address when sending multiple emails in an effort to propagate itself.

This could be on any machine where your wife's email address is housed in the address book, so it could be anyone's machine, anywhere.

As a precaution you could run the FREE version of THIS software on the laptop.  Update it before running and let it remove anything it finds and reboot if it asks.