9 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 12:20 PM by Peter M

issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping

I have been trying to activate my new McAfee install for several days now.  I have spent three hours on the phone with both first and second level McAfee techs.  They want me to "ping download.mcafee.com" but I can't.  Funny, I have tried this on about eight other computers I have access to, in six cities around the world.  The two in Asia can ping, but the 4 in the US can not. 

Also, the DNS for mcafee.com doesn't seem to respond with an IP address.  All addresses I get are from "non-authoratative" sources.

NOTE:  this is not a host table issue, as I have tried it on numerous machines with the same result - both windows and unix.  Can anyone else ping "download.mcafee.com" properly?  If yes, just what is the IP address that you are getting?  I have seen: 12.120.18.206 and 12.120.18.208, but neither answer pings from my US machines.

Also:  try a DNS check for "download.mcafee.com" from an internet testing site, like: http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/

It fails to resolve the address.

DNS check results for download.mcafee.com:

Results

14.3% of queries will end in failure at 216.49.88.14 (ns-a.mcafee.com) - no answers

14.3% of queries will end in failure at 208.69.152.14 (ns-b.mcafee.com) - no answers

14.3% of queries will end in failure at 193.108.91.2 (ns1-2.akam.net) - no answers

14.3% of queries will end in failure at 64.215.164.195 (usc3.akam.net) - no answers

14.3% of queries will end in failure at 81.52.250.132 (use4.akam.net) - no answers

14.3% of queries will end in failure at 64.211.42.196 (usw4.akam.net) - no answers

14.3% of queries will end in failure at 222.122.64.134 (usw5.akam.net) - no answers

• 1. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping
          Peter M

I can't ping it either so something must have changed or the servers are down.  It times out and shows a weird IP address similar to the above that has nothing to do with McAfee.

I suggest calling Customer Service, it's a free call and they may have some way of fixing it.

Telephone Customer Service

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call 866-622-3911. You may be asked for your registered email address and order number.
          Average contact length: 10  minutes
          Estimated wait time: 5-10 minutes
          Hours of Operation: Available daily, 6am-6pm Pacific

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/05/11 12:53:49 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping

Thanks for the thought.   I tried that number, but if you haven't purchased within 30 days, they want you to have a credit card ready to talk with a tech.  I think they have a network/DNS problem but I couldn't convince their first and second level people I had on chat last night for 3 hours!  They may be OK on McAfee software, but they just didn't understand the network issues.

Can anyone in the US ping download.mcafee.com right now?

• 3. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping
              Peter M

That's because they are in India.  I'll flag this internally and hope someone knows what to do.

• 4. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping

Humm.   That makes some sense.  My two computers that could reach that site were in Bangalore, India and Hong Kong!   My many US sites could not.   Thanks much for any help.  I couldn't get this info to the correct people, as those on the chat line just didn't understand the issue.  They kept wanting to rebuild my host file and reset my IE.

• 5. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping
                  Hayton

I pinged download.mcafee.com from the UK and got through to an akamai server with no problem. And that must be the issue - the use of akamai servers to spread the load. I suppose it depends on where you are - if you're in North America there's likely a problem with the local setup. Here in the UK it's fine, also apparently in India and Hong Kong. I don't know who you should take this up with, but Akamai Technologies would be a good place to start.

ping results.JPG

• 6. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping
                    Peter M

Something must have changed because I most definitely used to be able to ping that address.  Now I can't so something is different for us N.Americans.

I'll add this to our conference call agenda although I may not be able to attend personally.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/05/11 7:05:35 EDT AM
                    • 7. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping
                      Peter M

The ping servers for N. America have been turned off for security reasons, a fact that the Tech Support people probably wouldn't know yet.   I suggest recontacting them and pointing that out if the problem persists.

Meanwhile I did flag this internally in the hope someone will help.

• 8. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping

There are two issues.  Besides the ping issue which is only a testing thing....   There seems to be a DNS resolution issue which I noted in my original post, whereby the DNS servers won't give out good information for "download.mcafee.com".  I think this is the real operational issue.  Because, when you try to download or upgrade - you can't.  It doesn't matter if they turned ping off or not, if you could actually download what you needed.  But as of right now,  you can't.  I get:  "Download Cannot Continue.   your McAfee software download cannot continue because either there's a problem with your internet connection....... "

• 9. Re: issues with download.mcafee.com, can't ping
                          Peter M

That's why I'm hoping someone here will wade in with suggestions.