I don't see the issue on my machine.
From the post, you are saying that last check is on 18th April then I will suggest to check couple of things.
1. Please check port 8801 if it's blocked from firewall/proxy.
2. Make sure that you are able to open the AVERT Urls.
htttp://myavert.avertlabs.com:8801 and http://myavert.avertlabs.com:8801/reportservice.asmx
Thanks for replying. I can't reach http://myavert.avertlabs.com:8801/reportservice.asmx or http://myavert.avertlabs.com:8801/ but I can reach those urls if I remove the port number. Strangely enough though it's the same from home, the port 8801 versions of the urls fail even though I can turn off my home firewall completely.
I've put in a call to our ISP to check if any firewall rules have been updated at work but don't understand why I can't reach the :8801 versions from home.
Whatever the issue was, it has apparently resolved itself as version reporting is back to normal.