Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1326 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 24, 2011 1:49 PM by Ex_Brit RSS
bpol Newcomer 1 posts since
Apr 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2011 12:39 PM

McAfee Security Center-Microsoft Security Essentials-Windows 7

Are there any known conflicts or problems with running both McAfee Security Center and Microsoft Security Essentials on a computer with the Windows 7 operating system?The next question is are there any benefits to this configuration?Have there been many conflicts between McAfee and either XP or Windows 7. While using XP, I had much difficulty with the automatic updates;I would also keep getting messages that real-time canning would not work. The only solution was to keep uninstalling and then reinstalling McAfee. I would do this once or twice a month. BSOD's were also a problem. Since switching to Windows 7 the problem has deminished,but BSOD's occasionaly still occur (not frequently). A racing hard drive was also a problem(more with XP). All three seemed to be linked to McAfee.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,564 posts since
    May 6, 2004

Microsoft Security Essentials contains antivirus and as such should not be used together with McAfee products.   It could feasibly open up your machine to infection due to the two antivirus components clashing.

Windows Defender (standalone) can be used as it is simply antispyware but it will be disabled by McAfee when the latter is first installed.  It's OK to re-enable it afterwards and use it.

It is already included in Vista and Windows 7 and is an optional download for XP.

McAFee is fully compatible with XP SP3 x86 (32-bit version only) and Windows 7 SP1 x86 or x64 (32 and 64-bit) as long as you keep them totally up to date there should be no problems.

BSOD's and the problems you say you were having indicate to me that something wasn't up to date, most likely drivers and McAfee simply was the catalyst for a breakdown that was most likely inevitable, also it could be due to lack of resources (memory or RAM, free hard drive space etc.).  There is always Technical Support Online Chat available for help in that regard.

(Useful Links above).

Another factor that can cause problems is the overuse of registry cleaners, or, of course, infection.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/04/11 3:14:27 EDT PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend