6 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 7:40 AM by Timmah

EEPC 6.1 and Agent Handlers

Dvanmeter

Anyone have an ide when EEPC will work with agent handlers?  We have an agent handler in the DMZ that we manage all other aspecs of Mcafee on mobile computers.  I know currently Mcafee does not support EEPC 6.1 and Agent handlers do not support data channels.  Will EPO 4.6 and MA 4.6 support this?

• 1. Re: EEPC 6.1 and Agent Handlers

all supported with EEPC 6.1 and EPC 4.6 right now AFAIK. It was one of the things which kept 6.1 in dev so long - complete architecture review to support 100,000+ nodes per EPO server and agent handlers along with it.

• 2. Re: EEPC 6.1 and Agent Handlers
            Dvanmeter

That is great.  Will help us out tremendously.

• 3. Re: EEPC 6.1 and Agent Handlers
              Timmah

Hi there,

Just spotted this, and thought I'd point out a little caveat... upstream datachannel messages are still routed through the Agent Handlers directly to the ePO server. If your machines communicate solely with an external Agent Handler that is maybe firewalled from direct contact with ePO, you'll have trouble activating your machines (activation and moving of machines to different ePO servers is the only time we use upstream DC messages now).

Hope this helps,

Tim

Message was edited by: Timmah on 18/05/11 09:55:12 CDT

Message was edited by: Timmah on 18/05/11 09:57:29 CDT
              • 4. Re: EEPC 6.1 and Agent Handlers
                dwebb

Just to clarify, EEPC 6.1 supports horizontal scaling via Agent Handlers, as Safeboot says....

However, this is true on both of the following versions of ePO:

ePO 4.5 Patch 4 Hotfix 1

ePO 4.6

• 5. Re: EEPC 6.1 and Agent Handlers
                  Dvanmeter

Help me understand this.  I have laptops that are almost always gone from our network.  I have an agent handler in the DMZ that our laptops and home desktops check into.  The laptops rarely directly connect to the main epo server, but to the agent handler in the DMZ.  Mcafee Virus Events, properties, software deployments all occur fine through the agent handers currently.

If I upgrade our server to EPO 4.6, install EEPC 6.1, migrate our systems from the old Safeboot Management console to the EPO Managed, then the clients should checkin fine with regards to EEPC.  New users, product updates, login events, decryption, encryption and user login event reporting should all function fine?

• 6. Re: EEPC 6.1 and Agent Handlers
                    Timmah

Hi again,

Upstream datachannel messages still go through the assigned Agent Handlers (and always have), but rather than being handled at the Agent Handler, they're simply forwarded from the Agent Handler to ePO. If your Agent Handler is unable to fully communicate with ePO for the purpose of upstream datachannel messages, your laptops will not be able to backup their keys (for activation, upgrade, and/or moving ePO servers).

Hope this helps,

Tim