2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2011 7:32 AM by exbrit

Confused about double programs

I have McAfee Security Scan Plus and McAfee Total Protection installed ... do I need both? If not, which one should I remove. Thank you for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: Confused about double programs
          Jayadeep NR

McAfee Security Scan Plus is a free diagnostic tool for your PC that works with all security software programs and actively checks your computer for anti-virus software, firewall protection and web security. It uses active protection technology to scan for all kinds of threats such as viruses, Trojans, spyware, potentially unwanted programs, adware and browser history. When a scan is complete, you’ll see a report detailing the presence and status of your security protection. If problems are detected, McAfee will provide security solution recommendations. That is, McAfee Security Scan Plus automatically scans your computer on a weekly basis to ensure your antivirus software,firewall protection and web security are on and up-to-date. So you can run the program and it is legitimate. McAfee Total Protection is your paid software, which will protect your computer from infection and all. You can remove McAfeeSecurity Scan Plus, but not McAfee Total Protection.

• 2. Re: Confused about double programs
            exbrit

McAfee Security Scan Plus installs automatically along with certain online products such as Adobe Flash, Shockwave or Reader etc. etc. and is an option that can be turned off at the time of the download.  It is merely a security scan as its name says, and can be uninstalled via Control Panel in the normal manner.