1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 10:21 AM by Kary Tankink

HIPS 8.0 policy migration from 7 resulted in 3 Assigned IPS Rules policies

After performing the policy migration (1 time only) I had 3 IPS Rules policies *assigned*.  I was able to delete 1 of those policies but am left with 2 now, neither of which I can delete from the "Edit Assignments" screen.  I have set them both to reflect the policy that I wanted (one of the migrated policies) but this does not seem right!  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: HIPS 8.0 policy migration from 7 resulted in 3 Assigned IPS Rules policies
          Kary Tankink

By default now with HIPS 8.0, two policy instances for IPS Rules and Trusted Applications are required.  According to Best Practices, you should have the McAfee Default policy assigned to these 2 policy sections along with a custom policy for any additional changes.

KB54292 - The McAfee Default IPS Rules policy must be assigned to take advantage of new vulnerability signatures

Because you cannot remove Policy Instance 2 for these two sections, if you wanted to just run one policy (not recommended), you could just DISABLE the policy assignment in Policy Instance 2.