1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 2:54 PM by phoenixflyer

GenericDropper.va.gen.t Trojan removed but...

A few days ago my pc got infected and Mcafee removed 4 cases of FakeAlert!grb and one case of GenericDropper.va.gen.t.

However several applications will not start: one says theres a security verification issue; Open Office word processor said my configuration file was erased but it did start; Firefox crashes frequently now. Also last night I tried to post to a forum on a website and it said something was wrong with my security verification, so it didn't allow me to post (I had posted several times before on that website without problem before the virus).

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit with service packs.

McAfee AntiVirus Plus is up to date.

Computer was never infected before a few days ago.

I ran the McAfee Virtual Technician. Report is attached.

Soooo, I ran a Stinger scan in safe mode and it said I had 6 files infected. Of course in Normal mode McAfee doesn't find anything on my machine today.

Today I had an online chat with McAfee and they referred me to the Virus Removal page which will cost me $89 an incident.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this on my own?

I heard Windows restore won't necessarily solve the problem either. Actually I did restore back to before I noticed symptoms (1 week ago) and the problems are still present. 

I suppose I could re-install windows but that would be a big pain, but free.  I heard that reinstalling Windows might not remove the virus anyway.