6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2011 7:13 PM by dprivate RSS

Images blocked on web pages

dprivate

I recently installed McAfee Total Protection 2011. Soon after, I noticed that some images do not display anymore while online - mainly on Facebook. The only other change I made to my computer was upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, but I'm noticing that Firefox (v. 3.5.11) is not displaying the same images. Both act as if the images could not be found. I would think that the images on my Facebook wall are not threats.

I keep looking up this issue, and the main solution I keep coming across is to disable some image blocking component of the Parental Controls, but I don't even have anything under Parental Controls turned on.

Does anyone known what's causing this, and maybe have a workaround?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Images blocked on web pages
          sameer172006

Hi,

First of, I would say that you are using the Home user version of the McAfee software.

As to why the images are not being displayed, there can be various reasons :-

1} Internet connectivity is hampered and thus rendering the image download process too slow to be completed in time.

2} The user has activated privacy settings.

3} Your adobe flash plugins are missing or are not updated.

Cheers

Sameer

• 2. Re: Images blocked on web pages
            Hayton

If Sameer is right this belongs in the Home & Home Office section, but not necessarily under Parental Controls. I know there used to be an option to block displayed images but I don't see that option any more in the version I have.

• 3. Re: Images blocked on web pages
              sameer172006

Hayton,

I strongly beleive that McAfee DOES NOT have anything to do with the images not being displayed properly.. Kinda strange but I do get a feeling that its to do with the FB settings.

Dprivate :- Have you seen such behaviour with different websites and web pages ???

Sameer

• 4. Re: Images blocked on web pages
                dprivate

Sorry I haven't had time to really look into my issue since I originally posted.

Sammeer, here are my responses to your theories:

1} Internet connectivity: My connection is pretty realiable. The status bar in both browsers said "Done" instead of indicating that it was trying to download more data.

2} Privacy settings: I don't think I activated anything. As far as McAfee is concerned, I didn't really do much of anything after I installed it. If you're talking specifically about Facebook privacy settings, the site looks like it should when I load it at work. It just doesn't display right at home. If it was FB-specific, I would think I'd be having this issue on other computers also.

3} I went to the Adobe site to make sure the latest Flash was updated. No change.

Anyway, to answer your question, it does seem to be only occurring on Facebook. To be honest, I've sort of become used to it already. I can easily live with it, and I don't want to waste anyone else's time on what is the tiniest of annoyances.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond though!

• 5. Re: Images blocked on web pages
                  thecreator

dprivate wrote:

I recently installed McAfee Total Protection 2011. Soon after, I noticed that some images do not display anymore while online - mainly on Facebook. The only other change I made to my computer was upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, but I'm noticing that Firefox (v. 3.5.11) is not displaying the same images. Both act as if the images could not be found. I would think that the images on my Facebook wall are not threats.

I keep looking up this issue, and the main solution I keep coming across is to disable some image blocking component of the Parental Controls, but I don't even have anything under Parental Controls turned on.

Does anyone known what's causing this, and maybe have a workaround?

Thanks!

Hi dprivate,

What is your operating system? Service Pack Level? Why haven't you upgraded to at least FireFox 3.6.16?

Do you have the Ad Blocker installed in FireFox?

It isn't Privacy Settings, but Security Settings in Internet Explorer that would need to be adjusted.

• 6. Re: Images blocked on web pages
                    dprivate

I didn't realize my version of Firefox was so out of date. I rarely use it on my home computer for some reason. I really should reconsider that.

Anyway, I updated to the latest version of FF, went to Facebook, and everything looks fine now. Oddly enough, I opened up IE immediately afterwards, and Facebook looks just fine now too.

Whatever the issue was, it seems to have corrected itself. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!