2 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 9:11 AM by prabhakaran

How can I remove XP Total Security before installing mcAfee?

I have McAfee on my laptop and I want to load it onto our home PC that my son generally uses.  That PC has an old, expired "unregistered" product called "XP Total Security"

We keep getting pop-up windows and warnings from this old product saying we need to purchase their virus protection - but we don't want to buy that since I already have multiple McAfee licenses.

We cannot figure out how to remove this XP total Security -  I'm not sure where the program files for it are - probably hidden or called by a name or number that I wouldn't connect with this product.

Has anyone had experience with this and could give me advice on getting this off of my PC before I load up McAfee?  

When I ask this general question online - there are dozens of wannabe responses, but they are just trying to get you to buy their products and download them - but they never actually remove this old XP Total Security.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How can I remove XP Total Security before installing mcAfee?
          Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

There is an excellent removal guide here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-201 1

Scroll down that page as the first links are advertising.

• 2. Re: How can I remove XP Total Security before installing mcAfee?

Hi,

Its a kind of sypware activity, kindly follow the steps to remove it.

Go to safe mode or safe mode with networking to stop the process of spyware activity
            Take the backup of whole registry to avoid any serious problems
            Go to start>Run> type folder options>enable hidden files
            Then go to the following location

XP:
            c:\documents and settings\%user profile%\Application data\<random 3 letters>.exe
            Vista or Win 7:
            c:\users\%user profile%\AppData\Local\<random 3 letters>.exe

Deleted the above mentioned file
            Then go to registry

NOte: If you problems in going to registry, Go to Start Menu>Run>type Command to get command prompt

Then type registry.exe in the command windows which will prompt you that

Change:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe "(Default)" = 'secfile'
            to
            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe "(Default)" = 'exefile'

Change:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\<random 3 letters>.exe
            to
            HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%1" %*

Restart the computer to the normal mode
            Then the issue must be fixed

Regards,

Prabhakaran CP