9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 7:24 PM by tdmomega

ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64

davei

Hi

Is there a supported process for moving epo 4.6 from Server 2003 R2 SP2 x86 host to Server 2008 R2 (x64 only) host?  SQL is on remote SQL server.

KB71078 (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71078) lists a process for 4.5 but does not specifically state it is also for 4.6.

Ideally i would be keen to avoid the 8.3 naming convention on the new x64 host.  Nothing mentioned in 4.6 install guide for fresh install requiring 8.3 naming.

Can i do vanilla install of 4.6 on 2008 R2 x64, export\import keys and policies from original server and point new install to existing remote sql database?

Using MA 4.5.  Happy to keep the same server hostname and IP address.

Any thoughts would be great.

cheers.

• 1. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64
          Sailendra Pamidi

The steps in the KB71078 apply to ePO 4.6 as well. We are working to get this updated. You will still need to have the eight dot three support though.

davei wrote:

Can i do vanilla install of 4.6 on 2008 R2 x64, export\import keys and policies from original server and point new install to existing remote sql database?

Using MA 4.5.  Happy to keep the same server hostname and IP address.

The policies, system tree and assignments are stored in the ePO database. However, you will need to ensure that all the extensions on the newly installed ePO (both System and User extensions) are checked in and on the same build as the Original database (OrionExtensions table) before pointing it to the Original ePO database using core/config. Otherwise you can run into extension startup failures (and in extreme cases - lose the policies). So you may want to backup and test this before deciding to plunge in.

Hope that helps

• 2. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64
            davei

Thanks for clarification will review KB71078 again.

I will probably give a fresh install a go in the next day or so and attempt to connect to existing DB.  I will first update all products and extensions to latest version shown in Software Manager and then dump a copy of OrionExtensions table for reference.  Using Vms so roll-back should be straight forward as long as i back up the DB first.

Will report back over next couple of days when i get round to this.

If all fails I will follow KB71078.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64
              Sailendra Pamidi

Just so we are on the same page, if you are going for a fresh installation and planning to point to the old database, you need to have the same extensions and same versions of those extensions on the freshly installed copy for that to succeed.

Moving to the latest extensions for all does not ensure that. For e.g. if the old database has a product extension that is older version and the newly installed ePO is checked in with a higher version of the product extension, then when you point the ePO installation to the old database, the extensions will be reported as missing or you may experience dependency failure errors that prevent login.

• 4. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64
                davei

Agreed and understood - my thinking is that by ensuring everything is up to date now on the original system, to the version levels offered by the Software Manager, I can then install fresh on new server and use Software Manager to update the extensions in the new install to the same version.  This way avoiding having to find and download old extensions.

I will screengrab everything prior to doing anything - and use the OrionExtensions table as reference too.

One other question - will i need 8.3 support on the new fresh install on x64?  or is that just if copying existing x86 installation to new x64 host?

• 5. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64
                  Sailendra Pamidi

Good idea

You will be needing the Eight Dot three support since you will be running the ePO Installer on the fresh installation.

• 6. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64
                    davei

OK - might be me being blind but in the installation guide (epo_460_install_guide_en-us.pdf) on page 9 Windows Server 2008 R2 is listed as 'supported server-class operating system'.  But there is no mention that 8.3 file name support is required anywhere in the document.

If 8.3 support is required no matter what I do - then the best thing to do would be to follow KB71078 and migrate on to the new host that way, rather than fresh installation?

What would you do?  :-)

• 7. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64
                      Sailendra Pamidi

I believe the 8.3 support requirement is for some of the java components that may not work during the installation phase without it enabled.

Wether you choose to migrate the older installation files over to the new one using KB71078 or simply install a fresh ePO 4.6 and choose to import the policies and recreate the system tree assignments, you would need to install ePO 4.6 -

If I am not mistaken, the installer itself prompts you to set the disable8dot3namecreation value to zero in the registry before it will allow you to proceed.

• 8. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64
                        davei

OK yes good point still need to install 4.6 whichever way i go.

OK other priorities have appeared for today so i plan to do this tomorrow.  I will report back to close the thread off.

Thanks Sailendra for your help.

• 9. Re: ePO 4.6 - move\mig from server 2003 sp2 x86 to server 2008 r2 x64

Did you ever get this working, and if so, did you run in to any issues with the move?  I am thinking of doing the same thing, but want to know if there were any gotchas that you ran in to.