2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 4:53 PM by westofsa

Mcafee loses settings between upgrades ?

Does anyone else experience the same problems with the McAfee Total Protection, where every upgrade requires you to keep going back and allow applications access through the McAfee firewall.

Here are my two issues that have become such a frustration that I have had to uninstall McAfee completely from one PC because it keeps impacting my applicatoions

1. Firewall Outbound connection Pop Ups - After every upgrade, applications that have been running for years, that require Automatic Outbound Access to check for updates, are once again prompted to Allow - Settings are never saved from one upgrade to the next.

2. Firewall Inbound Rules - Configuring certain ports for Inbound firewall access - Same thing, set the rules of firewall ports that you want to have open, for instance I run a web server, located on a Virtual Server installed on my Windows PC that is running McAfee. No matter what I do, every upgrade McAfee will forget the previous rules and once again block everything. I even turned off the firewall completely, but of course after the upgrade it was very quickly enabled again.

Of course you are usually remote when you are trying to access the web server, only to find that you no longer have access.. frustrating

I have been with McAfee for over 10 years, but am about to throw in the towel.

Has anyone come across any tips and tricks to keep settings between upgrades. My subscription is up in a few months and while I in general like the product, if I cannot find some sort of permanent solution other than uninstall the entire application (which I have had to do on the most impacted PC) I will have to find another vendor.

• 1. Re: Mcafee loses settings between upgrades ?
          Dinz

Hi there,

Could you please provide us with some information on your system such as ;

What operating system ?

Do you have any other firewall  installed ?

Are you behind a router ? which has inbuilt firewall ?

Please let us know the version of McAfee Firewall

Regards,

• 2. Re: Mcafee loses settings between upgrades ?

Hi Dinesh

Could you please provide us with some information on your system such as ;

What operating system ?      Windows 7

Do you have any other firewall installed ? No, McAfee Firewall disabled the built in Windows Firewall

Are you behind a router ? which has inbuilt firewall ?

Yes, I have a Netgear FVS Series Router, that has NAT and Firewall functionality. The Firewall is configured to port forward the specific ports that I want to allow for external access.

Please let us know the version of McAfee Firewall: McAfee Total Protection Build 10.5.227 is the latest showing on the Help About.