6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 10:22 PM by intenz

    ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6 - invalid license?

      I have been trying to install ePO 4.6 for the last two days with no success.  I was upgrading from ePO 4.5 and could not get it to run.  I get errors saying that the license is invalid. Specifically, it says that there's a database error while getting license information.


      I've tried all sorts of things to get this to work.  I went as far as to delete the database and create a new one from scratch, but that didn't work.  I tried creating a local database using SQL Express (the database was originally a SQL Server database on a different server than ePO).  In all cases I get the error message below.


      The McAfee docs on this in their knowledgebase addresses this issue as saying that it's fixed in ePO 4.6, but that obviously isn't the case.




      Vinnie Close

      Network Administrator

      TPC Wire and Cable Corp.

      Independence, Ohio




        • 1. Re: ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6 - invalid license?

          Though your circumstances are slightly different from mine, the resulting problem regarding the license sounds oddly similar and based upon the fact that my ePO server was not connecting to the correct port on the database server to connect to the database and retrieve the license.


          Give the following KB article a try - https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66166&actp=search&viewlo cale=en_US&searchid=1301407657473


          I opted for Workaround 2 and it worked like a charm!


          Hope that helps.



          Message was edited by: PhilM on 15/04/11 14:54:53 IST
          • 2. Re: ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6 - invalid license?

            I did see that article and had looked at both workarounds mentioned.  However, in both cases, the settings were correct--the database server name was correct, as were the ports.


            Right now, I have it working through a local database on the same server as ePO, so there are no "ports" to worry about, and I still get that message.

            • 3. Re: ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6 - invalid license?
              Attila Polinger

              Hello Vincent,


              if I remember correctly, orion.log should contain result information on the operation. That is, if you attempt to log in again and you fail again, please open orion.log and see what's there about this.


              Orion.log is in ePO install folder.




              Message was edited by: apoling on 15/04/11 16:52:55 CEST
              • 4. Re: ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6 - invalid license?

                add a rule for eventparser.exe  and make sure that by path then finger prints are selected and  sql connection port as local service are allowed


                Message was edited by: allamiro on 4/15/11 12:02:02 PM CDT


                Message was edited by: allamiro on 4/15/11 12:02:55 PM CDT
                • 5. Re: ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6 - invalid license?



                  I have been trying to get 4.6 for a while now. I'm having the exact same problem as Vincent described. I did two things to get arround the two errors:


                  1. A database error occurred .....


                  For some reason it seems that EPO is having problems with the encrypted password that is located in the db.properties file (..\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\conf\orion\db.properties). I was able to connect to the database after putting in

                  a clear text password


                  db.user.passwd=  <your cleartext account password>


                  This in of course not the best security practice but at least for now it got me arround the database connect issue.


                  2. Dependency ...had initialization error & Repository Key Corrupt


                  For testing purposes i replaced the cryptocme2.dll & cryptocme2.sig with an older version i had. This seemed to solve the initialization errors and let me login to the system.


                  The problem with doing this is that the old cryptome2.dll does not seem to support 2048 encryption and the server.log registers the following errors


                  - NAISIGN  Unable to create Dsa key context, RSA error 10011

                  - NAISIGN  Unable to create hashing cryptographic context, error 10011


                  So the result is that i can get into the system. Download packages but my keys are useless without the proper cryptome2.dll. I wonder if this DLL also has something to do with the decryption of the password.


                  Does anyone know how cryptome2.dll is related to the initialization errors of RepositoryMgMT, AgentMgMt, SoftwareMgmt.



                  • 6. Re: ePolicy Orchestrator 4.6 - invalid license?

                    Hi guys,


                    After preparing for another night of trying to get this to work i double check something. cryptome2.dll is used by a number of products and is not the only file used by Mcafee EPO and for example EMC and Dameware.

                    The other files are:



                    Just to make sure everything was cleaned up i also removed the following files. If you want to be on the safe side you can rename the extension or add a .old.






                    After deleting all these files from the c:\windows\system32 directory and restarting the Mcafee services the server started doing everything it should. Don't worry about deleting cryptocme2.dll and cryptocme2.sig from the windows system32 directory as EPO has a copy of the correct files in the root of the instalation folder.


                    *Made a note to myself to "***** slap" the guy who used dameware on servers.*


                    Vincent, please doublecheck this and let me know if it resolves your issue as well. Feel free to contact me at jmoreiravilhena@gmail.com