3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2011 3:13 PM by DLarson

6.1 deployment - how are you doing it when there's no method to ensure proper install order...

So the documentation says to push the agent out before the client - I get that, this is how it's been in each of the previous 6.x versions. What I don't understand is how in the hell are you supposed to deploy the agent and automate the deployment of the client *ONLY IF* the new agent was upgraded properly? In the past we had one client task that pushed the agent out, and then the next line for the job pushed the client. This worked just fine for us, but the documentation in 6.1 explicitly says not to do this. I just spoke with support and they suggested created a client task to install the agent and then follow up in a few days/weeks/months to push the new client. This seems completely insane to me, especially when we have several XP clients that have the infamous 2-20 minute freeze when trying to unlock their computers and who need this fix as soon as possible.

So my question is, how do you folks go about rolling out the agent and the client for 6.1 - I'm open to suggestions. I really wish you could run a query to see what agent version a machine has and then run a client task against those machines to push the client. As far as I know, there's no way to do this right now.