3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2014 6:48 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

SPPSVC.exe

jtan818

Hi, I got a message which says that sppsvc.exe wants internet access.  It's sitting in the system32 directory.  I've heard that this file is a part of Windows 7, but I've also heard that it could be hijacked. 

What's the best approach here?  Block access?

• 1. Re: SPPSVC.exe
          JaiPrakash

Hi,

Sppsvc.exe - (Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service)

The Software Protection service enables the download, installation and enforcement of digital licenses for Windows applications. You may receive the message “sppsvc.exe wants internet access” when a Program/Application is trying to access the Internet for Downloading/Installing or when there is an update happening in your PC.

I would recommend you not disable the Software Protection service rather; you can scan the file using Virus Total by choosing the proper location.

Analyze the file using http://www.virustotal.com/

The legitimate file location is: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Sppsvc.exe

• 2. Re: SPPSVC.exe
            cherryerica

sppsvc is a protection against malware, but also of course an anti-piracy service.

External links removed as possibly risky - thread very old so subject is settled. - Moderator

• 3. Re: SPPSVC.exe
              Ex_Brit

3 year-old thread now locked and possible advertising links removed as against forum regulations.