8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 7:02 AM by theom

MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts

mcafee-com-user

We have a problem with a windows user account which is deactivated coz of numerous wrong authentications at mwg proxy.

On Windows DC i can only see  the user is locked out coz too many wrong authentications tried by mwg.

In mwg log i cannot see failed authentications. Is it possible to change logging behaviour and log these failed attempts too?

So i can see from which IP with which username an authentication at mwg is tried.

Otherwise i don´t know how to find out which PC is causing these failed attempts.

Thanks for help.

on 12.04.11 07:42:30 MESZ

on 12.04.11 07:43:16 MESZ
        • 1. Re: MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts
          mcafee-com-user

Is here no one who can help me? Especially the supporters from McAfee...

Or does no one understand my question?

How can i analyse which PC causes the authentication attempts with wrong password?

on 18.04.11 08:02:19 MESZ
          • 2. Re: MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts
            asabban

Hello,

I am sorry, there is no logging for failed authentication attempts on the Web Gateway.

Can you let us know which user is locked out? Web Gateway usually should create itself a Computer Account within the Domain and use this to communicate with the Domain Controller, and for authenticating requests. Is this account being disabled?

Best,

Andre

• 3. Re: MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts
              mcafee-com-user

Hello Andre,

not the MWG computer account is disabled.

A windows user account is beeing locked out coz too many attempts with wrong password.

For example in Acrobat Update a user uses a wrong password and the Update Tool tries permanently to log on at MWG. Then the windows account will be disabled after 20 attempts.

Coz i cannot see from which PC the authentication attempts are started there is no chance to help the user.

For example if  i a "bad"  user uses wrong credentiels of the boss and this account will be locked out permamently i am not able to analyse on which PC this misconfiguration is done. My boss will not be amused :-(

In windows event log "security" i can only see that the MWG (the Copmuter Account of the MWG is show here) tries to log on the user with wrong password and the user is locked out.

So my question is how can i see in MWG log files which PC causes these failed attempts?

Or how would you start analysing this situation?

Best regards.

• 4. Re: MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts
                asabban

Hello,

thank you, I think I better understand now. Unfortunately it is true that all authentication requests are created by MWG, so this is most likely all you can grab from the Domain Controllers logs. Web Gateway itself does not have a logfile to log failed attempts for native NTLM authentication. The problem with the Access.log is that Usernames only show up once the authentication was successful, therefore they are not helping as well.

The Adobe Updates is know to cause such issues, therefore it is a common practice in support to skip authentication for requests from the Adobe Updater. Of course this does not solve the root cause in this case.

I am afraid but I think the only possibility to detect who is causing by running a packet capture. It is required to find the Client IP address which is sending a GET request which contains an NTLM string for the User Account that is abused. This is not an easy task, but it should be possible to determine the Client IP in this case.

After you have captured some of the HTTP traffic, you can basically display all GET requests where a specific Username has been provided. Ax example filter may be:

tcp.port eq 8080 and ntlmssp.messagetype eq  NTLMSSP_AUTH and ntlmssp.auth.username eq "adminsitrator"

It is important that Wireshark knows that the destination Port is HTTP. if you are using a none-default port you can right click any packet which has your proxy port as the destination port and use "Decode as -> Transport -> HTTP" to apply this. After that has been done you can apply the above filters.

I am not sure if that helps, but I do not see a different way to see who is sending the requests.

best,

Andre

• 5. Re: MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts
                  mcafee-com-user

Hello Andre,

thanks a lot for your answer.

The way you show in your answer - analysing the traffic with wireshark - sounds good.

Best regards.

• 6. Re: MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts

Hello mcafee-com-user.

There is a workaround to "log" the ip address of a user who failed to authenticate.

Within the authentication rule on the "Events" you can configure an event to send SNMP traps to a snmp server (Corporate NMS) every time a user fails to authenticate. In the trap you can log the user ip, see below

MWGAuthFailSNMPTrap.jpg

MWGAuthFailSNMPMsg.jpg

I think it's easier to track the user ip this way.

Regards

• 7. Re: MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts
                      mcafee-com-user

Hello theom,

thanks for your answer. But we are using MWG Version 6. So this solution does not work for our system.

Best regards.

• 8. Re: MWG6.8.7 - 8378: Logging failed authentication attempts

Sorry, I saw it after my answer.

Anyway you should thing about passing to MWG7.1, I thing you can download it for free and you can use the old license as well. So, you need no budget but effort and you got it all.

RGRDS.