7 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 5:36 AM by Hayton

Web Referrer Blocking

Does anyone know how to configure SecurityCenter to stop referrer information from being sent when I browse the internet?  I am new to the McAfee product line and I've had a hard time finding information on how to do this from within the software.  According to a McAfee tech support agent, SecurityCenter does not have this capability, but I'm hesitant to take the agent's word on this since I actually had to explain to him what an HTTP referrer header was and how it could be a privacy concern for users.  Plus, other internet security programs I've used (e.g., Symantec, Norton, ZoneAlarm) do have this feature, so I'd be surprised if there isn't some way to configure Mcafee's software to block referrer sending.

Relevant software information is listed below if it helps. I would appreciate any assistance with this.

McAfee SecurityCenter version 10.5 (with McAfee Personal Firewall version 11.5)

Windows 7 64-bit OS

• 1. Re: Web Referrer Blocking
          Dinz

Hi isla_verde,

The difference between an attack and harmless traffic can be subtle. As our users, we expect ypu to tell us what they find 'in the wild', we keep track of happenings and trends and update our site content. Are you referring to this feature to which you do not want McAfee to report back ????

Regards,

• 2. Re: Web Referrer Blocking
            Hayton

For anyone who doesn't know what this post is about, the links below are a useful introduction.

Norton does indeed let you withhold the referer information, and other AV companies may provide the same facility. If McAfee allows this then I haven't seen it in my version of the product. If I expected to see the option anywhere it would probably be in the Enterprise editions for corporate users, which tend to be more feature-rich than the consumer editions. You'll need a tech person to give you a definitive answer.

Links :

http://www.world-mysteries.com/firewalls.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referrer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Web Referrer Blocking
              Peacekeeper

During installation there was a question wrt reporting back to Mcafee re trends is this what is asked about?

• 4. Re: Web Referrer Blocking

Dinesh, I'm not certain you're referring to the same issue I am.  The problem underlying my concern is that frequently when someone clicks on a link to a site, the address of the last website this person was browsing is passed along to the next site.

I hardly consider this harmless traffic; it's a definite privacy concern for some of us.  This is why some internet security suites offer ways to block this information.  It's regrettable that it appears that my version of McAfee isn't one of them.

Nevertheless, Dinesh, thank you for responding.  I appreciate that a McAfee representative took the time to respond to my posting.

Message was edited by: isla_verde on 5/1/11 12:43:10 PM CDT
                • 5. Re: Web Referrer Blocking

Thanks, Hayton, for providing links for those that are interested in learning more about this topic.

You're probably right about this being a limitation of the home consumer product line.  Hopefully, McAfee will find someway to include referrer blocking as an option in their current software lineup for the home user.

• 6. Re: Web Referrer Blocking
                    Hayton

This looks like a good candidate for the product improvement scheme - the good ol' Suggestions Box. Why not suggest it? Just go to this bit of the forum and post your idea there (and then vote for it, to give it a head start). I'll vote for it too.

• 7. Re: Web Referrer Blocking
                      Hayton

There is one area of the internet in which you can withhold referrer information, and that is Google searches. I don't know yet if any of the other search providers offer this facility - the McAfee SafeSearch, which uses Yahoo by default as its search engine, may do so - but Google has a secure search which strips out referrer information if you access an HTTP site from the search results. If you are going to an HTTPS secure site the referrer information is passed on.

For more information see http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=173733&hl=en

You need to access google.com - it doesn't seem to work for me in the UK if I do it through google.co.uk - using the following url : https://encrypted.google.com/