4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 9:03 PM by exbrit

McAfee will not prevent Facebook virus

I have Mcafee Internet security. I went to facebook and a friend posted a video link. I clicked it and stopped it after a few seconds. Over the next few days I noticed my icons were missing from my taskbar. I ran virus scan 3 times over 2 days and virus scan stated there were no issues with my computer and I was secure. I called my friend and he said he never posted a link on facebook. I called a pc technician and he ran Malware bytes (or something like that). It found a virus on my computer, he deleted the virus and used system restore to 2 weeks prior. My computer now operates as it did before the virus. So, this is a warning to all those using McAfee Internet Security. McAfee does not work. McAfee just puts a shield on your task bar and gives you a false sense of secuity.

• 1. Re: McAfee will not prevent Facebook virus
          exbrit

Malwarebytes isn't an antivirus application but rather an anti-malware application and as such, is a a great additional tool to have as well as virus protection.   No antivirus application of any brand is guaranteed to stop 100% of what's out there.

McAfee stops millions of infections that Malwarebytes doesn't, and vice-versa.

A quote from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
          As far as why MBAM is very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple. MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
          Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future. MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/04/11 4:19:03 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: McAfee will not prevent Facebook virus
            ConorD62

This so called PC technician rolled your system 2 weeks back?

What a PC technician he is.

• 3. Re: McAfee will not prevent Facebook virus

After removing the virus with malwarebytes, he wanted to take my computer back to his shop and reload the operation system. I have a home business and use my computer daily. I have programs that I do not have the disc for. The companies I purchased the software from provided an online download. Meaning I downloaded version 7.9. But, now they are on version 10.5 and no longer support 7.9. That means if my operation system had to be re-installed, I would have to purchase version 10.5 of my home business software because the company stopped supporting 7.9.

I asked the tech what options I had if I did not want to reload my software, I asked if a system restore would be okay. He said it would not be as good as a reload of the operating system. I told him the day I suspected I contracted the virus and we agreed restoring to a point 2 weeks before that would be a good point to go for.

We did it, he ran malwarebytes again and no viruses were found.

• 4. Re: McAfee will not prevent Facebook virus
                exbrit

I'm glad he sorted it out but you probably could have done all that yourself in Safe Mode with Networking - which most likely would have allowed you to installl, update and run Malwarebytes (free version is best) and initiate System Restore..

I trust he, or you, temporarily disabled System Restore in order to delete the infected restore point.

Always make sure you keep Windows totally up to date too.

All the best.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/04/11 10:03:32 EDT PM